Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need replace valve cover gaskets on the blue 04 so I ordered a plenum gasket also. Did I get the wrong one or is this what is being used now?

·
Registered
918 Posts
That's the wrong gasket set. The plenum gasket is a steel gasket. I've attached a picture of what the plenum gaskets look like. The photo shows the two upper plenum gaskets as well as the single lower plenum gasket. If you aren't messing with the knock sensor then you can probably just get the two upper plenum gaskets. They are sold in a set.

The valve cover gaskets will be rubber. I've attached a photo below. The photo shows the two valve cover gaskets and the rubber grommets for the screws. I strongly suggest getting the grommets as well. The old ones tend to lose their ability to tension properly with age.

A quick look up of the part you have there shows that it's for the 1999 - 2002 Nissan Quest. While the Quest does have the same engine block, it apparently has a different intake plenum.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the wrong gasket set. The plenum gasket is a steel gasket. I've attached a picture of what the plenum gaskets look like. The photo shows the two upper plenum gaskets as well as the single lower plenum gasket. If you aren't messing with the knock sensor then you can probably just get the two upper plenum gaskets. They are sold in a set.

View attachment 75139

The valve cover gaskets will be rubber. I've attached a photo below. The photo shows the two valve cover gaskets and the rubber grommets for the screws. I strongly suggest getting the grommets as well. The old ones tend to lose their ability to tension properly with age.

View attachment 75140

A quick look up of the part you have there shows that it's for the 1999 - 2002 Nissan Quest. While the Quest does have the same engine block, it apparently has a different intake plenum.

Hope this helps.
Thanks

View attachment 75139

View attachment 75140

Hope this helps.
Thank Satito. I didn't think they were the correct ones.

·
Registered
918 Posts
FEL-PRO MS922704

This is the correct part number. It is a set that includes the upper and lower gaskets. I pulled it from RockAuto. Their price is $45, though they do have other brands for much less.

MAHLE MS16365 is a set of just the two upper gaskets for $8.66.

As far as brands go, I usually use MAHLE or FELPRO. VICTOR REINZ (which is higher end MAHLE) is also decent.

Even when I buy my parts from somewhere else I always double check the parts numbers with RockAuto. Their website makes it super easy to look up parts and I have yet to find an error in their listings. I've always found Amazon and Ebay to be iffy on their parts listings, so I always double check before buying.

·
Registered
918 Posts
these are the lower gaskets. Only one upper
Gahhh You are correct Blackberry. Thanks for catching that!
Here are two examples of the correct parts. The Felpro is a felt/soft gasket while the Mahle is a steel gasket like the original. I personally prefer the Mahle for this application as it is less likely to compress or wear after installation.

FEL-PRO MS92273
MAHLE MS15494

1 - 7 of 7 Posts