Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Xterra and the sound quality of the speakers is pretty low especially if there is decent bass in the the song. Definitely looking to upgrade the stock speakers up front. Any suggestions? I don't want anything too expensive but I want a noticeable difference in the quality and the bass. May put in a sub later on as well.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I'm not sure what the size is but mine are kenwood

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Ahh. I found some old pics here they are!

·
Registered
783 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
whats the budget? 'not too expensive' is different to everyone.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
i need new ones baddd

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have 6.5"s in the front and 6x9"s in the rear all KENWOOD and they sound awesome
I thought the larger ones fit in the front and the smaller ones in the back. To be honest that didnt sound right to me but 6×9 F and 6.5 R is what crutchfield.com is telling me.

Any modifications that you had to make to fit them? Id like a clean swap to aftermarket speakers w/o having to cut of modify.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
It is 6.5's in the front, 6x9 in the back. Crutchfield is backwards. When I purchased my speakers and installed them, I contacted crutchfield and told them, and also sent them pictures.. but they have yet to change it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I thought the larger ones fit in the front and the smaller ones in the back. To be honest that didnt sound right to me but 6×9 F and 6.5 R is what crutchfield.com is telling me.

Any modifications that you had to make to fit them? Id like a clean swap to aftermarket speakers w/o having to cut of modify.
Yeah they have it backwards the way I wrote it was correct with no modifications what so ever

·
Registered
282 Posts
It is 6.5's in the front, 6x9 in the back. Crutchfield is backwards. When I purchased my speakers and installed them, I contacted crutchfield and told them, and also sent them pictures.. but they have yet to change it.
Larger speakers are ALWAYS in the rear as far as I knew. Good to know that is still the case. Anyhow. 6.5" F and 6"×9" R....no cutting, etc...That's what I'll go with.

·
Registered
282 Posts
What would YOU guys do?

If I could just go crutchfield and get ALL four speakers in the same 6.5" size I could afford a NICER speaker, like Alpines, Rockfords, JBL. etc...

Would any of you go that route?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Well I noticed that you have an '06 X. the speakers might be different.. I am not the local expert on that.. but I dont think that they should have changed.. I could be wrong.

I like crutchfield, but I also feel as if their prices are slightly high, so I used them to find what I liked and then bought it on eBay

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
What would YOU guys do?

If I could just go crutchfield and get ALL four speakers in the same 6.5" size I could afford a NICER speaker, like Alpines, Rockfords, JBL. etc...

Would any of you go that route?
I prefer round speakers to oval speakers. They sound nicer to me so this is what I would do. But that could lead you to having to do slightly more than just drop in. I am find with it but you said you may not be. If crutchfield has adapter brackets that would make it easy. If you have a power saw and drill you can make these adapters out of a piece of mdf fairly easily. It all depends on what you want, how involved you want to get and how much money you want to spend.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I prefer round speakers to oval speakers. They sound nicer to me so this is what I would do. But that could lead you to having to do slightly more than just drop in. I am find with it but you said you may not be. If crutchfield has adapter brackets that would make it easy. If you have a power saw and drill you can make these adapters out of a piece of mdf fairly easily. It all depends on what you want, how involved you want to get and how much money you want to spend.
AMAAAAZING! I had never thought of that. Why DO they make oval speakers, anyway? You never see a round driver on your home speakers, do you. I think Im going with FOUR Infinity Reference 6032si

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
AMAAAAZING! I had never thought of that. Why DO they make oval speakers, anyway? You never see a round driver on your home speakers, do you. I think Im going with FOUR Infinity Reference 6032si
Answer: more cone area delivers more SPL for the same power/internals but with a smaller package than going to a larger round speaker. The trade off is sound quality as its tougher to manipulate the cone area as it flexes in weird ways due to shape.

If I were building a reasonable/budget system for this truck I would spend more on a higher quality set of components up front than buying 2 pairs of lower quality speakers for front and rear. You as the driver shouldn't hear anything from the rear speakers. That's fill for the back seat passengers. If I replaced the rears later on I would probably just go with a mid-quality 2-way 6x9 that had a pretty good top end because it would be battling with the subwoofer to even be heard.

$.02

I personally like these for that price range:
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_27717_MB_Quart_PVL216.aspx

even these kickers look pretty good:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DS6...pair=FFBrand|Polk+Audio&nvpair=FFBrand|Kicker

I've never been a fan of the infiniti line up until you get into their high end stuff. I always thought the reference series was just really flat.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts