Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 2.4L M/T White
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Transmission/clutch replacement problems.

Guys, I've got a puny 2.4L KA rwd 1.5 gen. FS5W71C 5-speed. I've had a 71B in my Z grenade on me because of the countershaft bearings in these things, and the X is exhibiting the same symptoms. (Clutch depressed, no noise at all. Clutch pedal released in neutral or gear, whirling and slightly grinding bearing noise.) It's gotten worse over the past year, to the point it's almost as bad as when the Z grenaded, so I made a plan to replace the trans.

Problem: Bad bearings in gear box.
MY solution: Replace the gearbox, end seals, throwout bearing, pilot bushing and clutch kit. Pray a used trans is better.

I grabbed a used 71C from a D21 and planned on switching the bellhousings.
Ordered the basic centerforce kit and throwout bearing.

Here's when I ran into problems.
The throwout for the D21's trans I picked up was .750 thick, while the OEM one centerforce sent is .900. So it started looking like centerforce sent me the wrong one.
When I got my trans off the X, I was surprised to see the throwout on that was .750 as well...

I did research on part suppliers and it does seem that the proper one for my vehicle should be .900, from multiple sources.
Yet the smaller one that was on the vehicle was working fine and I never had problems shifting.

How is this possible? How can my car be running a throwout thats .150 thou smaller than what is documented to be the correct fit?
Is it possible the whirling could be from the wrong throwout instead of the gearbox bearings like I originally thought? I would guess a large one would do that, not a smaller one.

Now I don't know which one to run.
Any insight?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Transmission/clutch replacement problems.

Guys, I've got a puny 2.4L KA rwd 1.5 gen. FS5W71C 5-speed. I've had a 71B in my Z grenade on me because of the countershaft bearings in these things, and the X is exhibiting the same symptoms. (Clutch depressed, no noise at all. Clutch pedal released in neutral or gear, whirling and slightly grinding bearing noise.) It's gotten worse over the past year, to the point it's almost as bad as when the Z grenaded, so I made a plan to replace the trans.

Problem: Bad bearings in gear box.
MY solution: Replace the gearbox, end seals, throwout bearing, pilot bushing and clutch kit. Pray a used trans is better.

I grabbed a used 71C from a D21 and planned on switching the bellhousings.
Ordered the basic centerforce kit and throwout bearing.

Here's when I ran into problems.
The throwout for the D21's trans I picked up was .750 thick, while the OEM one centerforce sent is .900. So it started looking like centerforce sent me the wrong one.
When I got my trans off the X, I was surprised to see the throwout on that was .750 as well...

I did research on part suppliers and it does seem that the proper one for my vehicle should be .900, from multiple sources.
Yet the smaller one that was on the vehicle was working fine and I never had problems shifting.

How is this possible? How can my car be running a throwout thats .150 thou smaller than what is documented to be the correct fit?
Is it possible the whirling could be from the wrong throwout instead of the gearbox bearings like I originally thought? I would guess a large one would do that, not a smaller one.

Now I don't know which one to run.
Any insight?
What year is this Xterra? I would expect there is a shim adjustment specified for the new throw out bearing install.

·
Registered
2004 2.4L M/T White
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the fork and slave throw taking up the slack?
What year is this Xterra? I would expect there is a shim adjustment specified for the new throw out bearing install.
2004. Where is a shim adjustable +/- .150"?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Is the fork and slave throw taking up the slack?

2004. Where is a shim adjustable +/- .150"?
Factory service manual shows on page CL-10 the "release bearing" being installed with retainer and holder springs over a release bearing sleeve. I would expect this sets the proper spacing for the bearing and it is not adjustable from what you see in the manual. Hands on experienced people may have input regarding any possible adjustment.

·
Registered
2004 2.4L M/T White
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suppose I'll check to make sure the bearing sleeve is the proper one and not swapped out for the one that matches the smaller bearing. Everything SEEMED factory while I was taking it apart.. All OEM at least and properly loctited. My shifter was missing the bottom bushing though...

·
Registered
618 Posts
I suppose I'll check to make sure the bearing sleeve is the proper one and not swapped out for the one that matches the smaller bearing. Everything SEEMED factory while I was taking it apart.. All OEM at least and properly loctited. My shifter was missing the bottom bushing though...
Sounds like you are paying attention to the details so I trust you will get it right in the end.

·
Registered
2004 2.4L M/T White
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is actually insane. Centerforce's TOB is .9" thick, called and verified fitment. O'rilleys, Advanced Auto, and Autozone all offer a .9" thick TOB... Yet the one I pulled off my working truck is .750".

I finally went to Nissan today and they handed me the EXACT .750 TOB that was on my ride... So, the lesson is, for those of you who have the 4cyl, don't buy aftermarket even from reputable dealers.

Nissan's is going on and Centerforce's is getting theirs back.

Thanks for the replies and those who looked.

·
Registered
2004 2.4L M/T White
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gremlins came in the night and lengthened my driveshaft. It now rubs against the trans output flange and had to be hammered in to fit inside the diff flange. 71c gear box with my old bell housing. Everything torqued to spec. The output flange on my old one was LONGER than this one by .400, I fgured I'd have the opposite problem... Idk, I'm about done with this car in general.

·
Registered
2004 2.4L M/T White
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Quick hack saw to the dust cover of the transmission freed up the right amount of room. Mission accomplished. I should've seen If i could knock the dust covers off and change them though. The old gearbox did end up having about 4 balls missing from the inner countershaft bearing, so good diagnosis with my symptoms in the original post. Could the larger throwout bearing have worked? Probably, since they're sold everywhere. But it would have been a shame to have it rubbing and reducing the life of everything. Ride feels brand new now. (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts