Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys I don't really post on here a lot but my 1st gen X 2001 is taking a while to warm up. It was sitting for about 10 minutes and the temp needle was as far down to cold as it can go. I suspect the tstat is stuck open but I Checked the lower rad hose to see if there is coolant flow but nothing. The hose is ice cold but the metal where the hose clamps on the the engine was hot. I'm also kind of suspecting the fan clutch as the engine makes a TON of fan noise upon start up and idle even when warmed up. I don't know what to look for in a bad fan clutch. It doesn't leak silicone or anything. Could I just be paranoid? Is this normal? I am completely stumped. Any input would help thanks

·
Registered
621 Posts
Read that and if your feeling froggy go put a new thermostat in it. I've seen sooo many where as the previous owners have put holes in them to keep continous flow. Mine took about the same to warm up until I got an oem t stat. The previous owner had 6 holes in mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
B1GJay , dam that's ridiculous why would someone do that. Well dam looks like I'm doing a t stat this weekend. What do you need to do to get it out, do you need to remove the accessory belts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I bought the 2001 my son drives currently, the PO told me it was throwing a code, which I discovered was saying that the temp was taking too long to get to operating temp. The T-stat failed in the open position, so constant flow ensued.

I changed it, but it took me a complete Saturday morning. As I recall the main problem was the room that the repair took, as opposed to the room left by the designer of the vehicle. I have large hands, and my granddaughter's hands would have been the proper size. Over the past 30 years I've changed thermostats on a number of vehicles, and this X has the least amount of room to work of anything I've turned a wrench on.

Good thing I attempted it in the morning, and was drinking coffee. Had it been in the afternoon, and another beverage was in play, I woulda just quit.

Good luck !;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soccerfan, ok thanks for the heads up man. That's awesome my dad also handed down his 2001 x to me and I love it. Im only 16 though so my hands aren't fully grown so maybe it will be easier for me hahaha. I have a lot of plans for my x as the engine only has 40k on it. Thanks for the reply, also do you recommend oem or aftermarket for the t stat?

·
Registered
384 Posts
since people are talking about how their first gen xterras are hand me down's from their fathers i would also like to say that my 2001 X will also be a hand me down one day. I already did 10 k miles on her and just turned 20. Heck i have been the only one driving her for a year. Go ahead with aftermarket for your t-stat since they are all the same practically.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts