Nissan XTerra Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I would really like to get a tuning solution for my supercharged Nissan Frontier... it's a 2002 it's the same engine as the Xterra.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,138 Posts
It’s not going to be plug and play you will have to build a new wiring harness and program the ECU. I used to work a lot with MoTeC and Magneti Marelli engine management systems in motorsports for those types $4000 and up. You might be able to get away cheaper say with a Megasquirt system or similar but still looking at $2000 plus.

Just out of curiosity why do you need a tuner? What engine mods do you have?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a reworked air intake and soon to add long tube headers and perhaps something in a duel exhaust....then a smaller pully for the supercharger....perhaps some cams.

Looking at the megasquirt looks promising...I don't mind doing a wire harness and what not. Just need to know if it can be done so as to maximize the bolt on's.

4k is a little rich for my blood...2k...not so much...what about the mini megasquirt?
I have a 2002 Nissan Frontier King cab SC 4x4. Got it with only 80k on it and it is in real great shape. I have modes a lot of cars with bolt on and what not...however they always have a tuning hardware and software available...I know it's a 2002...but I thought if it had a super charger then for sure there would be tuning available for it.....ugh!

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,138 Posts
The OEM ECU in the Gen1 X and Fronty are just very fragile no one could ever seem to make a simple tuner option that worked with them.

The other issue is how much will you actually gain by adjusting the target AFR and playing with the timing? Is it worth the cost and work involved? Hard to say.

I have JWT Stage 1 cams, JWT Stage 2 valve springs, ported and polished heads, 3 angle valve job, gasket matched/cleaned up intake/plenum, headers, and NISMO exhaust and I know my truck would be a bit better if I could adjust the target AFR as mine is very fat on fuel mixture.

Jet Performance used to offer a service to re-flash the ECU,s in our trucks for around $300 and would somewhat tailor it to your engine mods but I could never find anyone who had bought one and had before and after dyno runs or even just a before and after AFR trace to show it actually made a difference. They offer there Vforce module but the description is somewhat vague although it appears to have a few different fuel maps and and timing profiles to choose from. The issue for me with that type of controller is they are fixed maps. If I’m going to go through the hassle of installing a tuner I want to be able to build my own maps. I seriously doubt they have a map in that thing that would optimize my truck with my engine mods. I have a lot of experience building maps using MoTeC, Magneti, Dynojet, EMpro, and some Mitsubishi systems and sometimes a few tweaks makes for a big gain, other times not so much. In my case I need to get my truck back on the dyno and re-evaluate where I am.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not looking for big gains...more concerned with CAI, long tube headers, re-worked exhaust working in concert with the rig... be it better horsepower and or Torque gains... or improve fuel economy. I figure if I can get the ECU to play nice with the bolt ons and with the smaller supercharger pulley... I'll have plenty of spank for a little truck...perhaps better fuel economy would ensue... provided I keep my foot out of it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know why people think this stuff is plug and play. But yes, you can MS just about any engine *IF* you don't mind some machine work.

If you want full MS tuning, you'll need to fabricate new crank sensor bits or mod the dizzy.
This is done for old engines all the time.

I see two options with these engines.
1) Probably murder or signal tune the optical pickup in the dist. (custom micro controller to take the signal and turn it into something the MS understands.
1a) Or just build a crank sensor pickup on the harmonic balancer.

Beyond that:
Replace the coil in the dist with direct fire packs..
Possibly add cam sensors - modify the timing pulleys to support cam position sensors for more data.
So yeah, you can do it, but it'll be a pain.
Some sensors would likely need to be swapped as well for MS compatibility.

·
Registered
16 Posts
From what I gather...yes.
I will be getting the Quick Change setup... starting with the factory diameter...then 2.3 or 2.4 pully... that way if I don't like it I can switch it back with little hassle.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts