Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending a fair amount of time researching a tunable ECU. I have come up with a solution that I am certain will work. I need to gauge some interest in this before I pull the trigger on the components I need. The testing stage will be the most expensive and I am eating that cost because I just have to know if it is possible.

Now the whole setup would likely cost between 600-800. Should be a little cheaper if you supply the ECU. The basic setup consists of an OBD1 ECU with a real-time tunable daughter-board installed, and a jumper harness so that the factory harness can accept the OBD 1 ecu. The ECU will come with a consult cable for tuning.

This setup is recommended IF you know how to tune. Tuning is a very complicated process and damage to the engine is very likely if you do not know what you are doing. As such, a lower level kit would likely be offered that would come with the ecu, daughter-board and jumper cable. The ECU will be loaded with a basic tune that would be tested on a dyno. This setup would be ideal for those that just want a plug and play solution and the price would likely be 400-600.

Just so I am very clear, this is a big maybe and I need the support of the forum before I dive into this project. I do not make any guarantees on the prices, time frame or compatibility.

If there is in interest in learning how to tune. I will put together a basic tuning guide that explains how everything works, ie fuel maps, timing maps, injector sizing, maf sizing...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Interesting.
Heard this talked about before but nothing seemed to come of it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have beach front for sale also !!!!!!!!!!!
?

I am not looking for preorders or any kind of funding. I am just seeing if this would be worth it to continue. I understand also that something like this can be over ones head, it is a rather difficult undertaking. If this is the how the community at large feels, then I will move on.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Oh I'd be interested in something if it was pretty much plug and play.
I'm just not into cutting up my wiring harness and doing heavy modding for it.
You come up with something like that and you'll have a ton of interest.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I'd be interested in something if it was pretty much plug and play.
I'm just not into cutting up my wiring harness and doing heavy modding for it.
You come up with something like that and you'll have a ton of interest.
That is the objective. I am compiling the diagnostic and testing tools now so I don't have to chop my harness up. The more I can simplify this the better for everyone.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I have the spare ECU, but I need to find someone local who can tune. I don't know enough about the process to know what you're asking for.

Please use sock puppets to explain ;-)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oddly enough I was about to start researching where we can get our trucks tuned because I plan to do headers, exhaust and CAI upgrades. I heard it's a good idea to get a tune after all that but have not heard about anyone doing it. Has anyone on this forum been tuned?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I tune vw/audi/bmw/benz for a living.

I know the gain for a NA truck would be minimal at best.

mods like a Header/intake can be more fully used with a tune. but are ECU's are smart enough to take the info from the Maf and O2's to make adjustment to keep from blowing up the engine lol

Also a "Generic tune" would have little gains. if we could have a tunable ecu that a proper tuner could modifie on the Dyno... something like Mistro for a vw, or Cobb to Subbie or HP Tuners for a GM. then you would be on to somthing.

But sinking that kind of money into a truck only produced for 4 years and is owned by, lets face it, not people with a ton of money to burn.
Is pointless.. maybe doing the 2nd gen would be wiser?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tune vw/audi/bmw/benz for a living.

I know the gain for a NA truck would be minimal at best.

mods like a Header/intake can be more fully used with a tune. but are ECU's are smart enough to take the info from the Maf and O2's to make adjustment to keep from blowing up the engine lol

Also a "Generic tune" would have little gains. if we could have a tunable ecu that a proper tuner could modifie on the Dyno... something like Mistro for a vw, or Cobb to Subbie or HP Tuners for a GM. then you would be on to somthing.

But sinking that kind of money into a truck only produced for 4 years and is owned by, lets face it, not people with a ton of money to burn.
Is pointless.. maybe doing the 2nd gen would be wiser?

You are right, on NA gains would be minimal, however, a tunable ECU will allow for high compression, bigger cams, port and polished heads... Also, we have supercharger guys on here too that can benefit from the tunable ECU immensely.

And as for a generic tune, what I meant was a dyno tune done on my own truck, or some local to me that has modifications. Otherwise it would require pulling the bin off the stock ECU and using it as a base tune.

Its a thought, and the cost may be a bit much for most, for me though it is a learning experience as an engineering student. It may come to fruition, it may not. But it sounds like a fun project to me.

I have been toying around with the idea of a tunable TCM though, which I think people would be interested in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm down!

I've had an Xterra for about a week now and have been trying to find a way to hack the PCM. I actually almost picked up a MegaSquirt last night off of craigslist, but it turned out a bad deal. For whatever reason, there is no support for these rigs. I'd like to se that change. What is the deal with these modules; why are there no programmable chips, software or anything else to tweak them. I have a 2001 with 170hp. The 2002 has 180hp. the motors are basically the same which means we can tune (not just bolt-on) at least 10hp more into the 2001s and I imagine quite a bit more in all VG33E motors.

I'd like to participate, or help with some R&D.

·
Administrator
8,519 Posts
I'm down!

I've had an Xterra for about a week now and have been trying to find a way to hack the PCM. I actually almost picked up a MegaSquirt last night off of craigslist, but it turned out a bad deal. For whatever reason, there is no support for these rigs. I'd like to se that change. What is the deal with these modules; why are there no programmable chips, software or anything else to tweak them. I have a 2001 with 170hp. The 2002 has 180hp. the motors are basically the same which means we can tune (not just bolt-on) at least 10hp more into the 2001s and I imagine quite a bit more in all VG33E motors.

So far no one has come up with anything only a few scams .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Megasquirt is the best option at this moment. Ive been working on a COP conversion for the sr20 lately and havnt had time to focus on a tunable ecu. I was going to start with a MS as well. They are simply a matter of wiring to match the xterra pinout. Downside is batch injection is instead of sequential. And for all intents and purposes its not a downfall, just can be confusing to setup. However, I do plan to make my COP conversion available for the xterra as well, or rather a CNP using LS2 coils.

Anyways, MS is currently the way to go. And will be one of my next projects.

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I'm down!

What is the deal with these modules; why are there no programmable chips, software or anything else to tweak them.
As it was described to me by a tuner in Winnipeg, "Nissan chips are shit." The guy from SuperChips who used to post here reflected that comment when they tried to make a tuner and found they kept frying the ECUs.

Short of a complete aftermarket ECU we're screwed by Nissan's low quality computer boards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As it was described to me by a tuner in Winnipeg, "Nissan chips are shit." The guy from SuperChips who used to post here reflected that comment when they tried to make a tuner and found they kept frying the ECUs.

Short of a complete aftermarket ECU we're screwed by Nissan's low quality computer boards.
The xterra ecu's may not be receptive towards tuning, but dont put all Nissan ECU's in that category. We have the Nismotronic for the b13/s13 chassis as well as the calum basic and calum realtime, nistune, JWT, plms. All of these boards are designed to be installed on the OEM ecu, and not just the b series chassis.

Now, with some basic ingenuity we can run an obd1 ecu with a nistune realtime daughterboard and a jumper harness. Hell I use a b13 Nismotronic ECU and boomslang jumper harness on my 99 Infiniti G20 with my own coil on plug conversion. And being that our motors are almost 25 years old, and the nistune daughterboard is available for the M30 which shares the same motor as the Xterra.

There are options. People just need to stop nay-saying and regurgitating bad information and actually prove something. But dont worry, Ill do the leg work on this one, while I am at it I will bring up a Coil Near Plug conversion too.

http://www.nistune.com/equipment-products-type2.php

·
Registered
175 Posts
I hate to revive such an old thread, but through some digging, I've found multiple people who have successfully ran their VG33 swaps (pathfinders, S12's, D21's so far) using an M30 ecu, well according to them anyways. So, perhaps all we need is a jumper harness. Granted, those models I listed are all obd1 or nothing but I imagine there's a way to do it. One in particular I found was a guy who put a vg33er in his S12 and had JWT tune an M30 ecu to get everything running. Found that one on NICO. I dropped a line to wiring specialties to see if they would be interested in producing one. So I'll see what they say.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If there is in interest in learning how to tune. I will put together a basic tuning guide that explains how everything works, ie fuel maps, timing maps, injector sizing, maf sizing...
I'm certainly interested in this part of the project. I'm curious about all the formulas the ECM uses to calculate outputs. For instance, the FSM reads as follows:

"The heated oxygen sensor 2 (rear), after three way catalyst, monitors the oxygen level in the exhaust gas. Even if switching characteristics of the heated oxygen sensor 1 (front) are shifted, the air fuel ratio is controlled to stoichiometric, by the signal from the heated oxygen sensor 2 (rear). This sensor is made of ceramic zirconia. The zirconia generates voltage from approximately 1V in richer conditions to 0V in leaner conditions. Under normal conditions the heated oxygen sensor 2 (rear) is not used for engine control operation."

I take this to mean that the ECM modifies the amount of fuel injected into the cylinders stoichiometrically based on the amount of O2 found in the exhaust stream at the rear Oxygen sensor location. I'd like to see how all the other sensor inputs, such as the MAF, are factored into this, and how changes in one input parameter impact all the output parameters. Is this what you're working on?

·
Registered
22 Posts
and so, i'm not sure what would an ECU help with, i'd try to make the xterra a little more modern with collision assistance and lane departure warning, if anything...

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I have beach front for sale also !!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly, I'll source a totaled 370Z engine and squeeze that in my X before smoking what he is smoking.
LOL

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
ebinkerd, this V6 was designed for nothing more than low end torque with power/rpm/high speed performance a non factor.
Get this through your skull, a tuned early X is NOT going to be improved.

What you are selling would be fine if...
If, my 3.3 revved up to 6000 rpm.
If, my X wasn't 2.5 tons of 4x4 dog.
If, I refuse to waste my time.

ebinkerd, my X may suck gas but one thing it will do. It will launch from a red light and has beat sports cars up to 30 mph, that is what it was made for and it has never failed in that.

Seriously, the time and money spent on trying to improve it is better spent replacing the motor entirely. My engine, 16 years later, runs way way better than when I bought it. No magic, no ecu garbage, just kept it simple.

ebinkerd, I like your enthusiasm but it is a complete and utter waste of time.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts