Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search and see if this subject has been covered, but couldn't find anything. I did find the thread on tube bumpers vs. plate steel nothing on sliders though.

So my question is...

What are your opinions on all tube steel rock sliders? (meaning everything besides the mounting plate.)

What are your opinions on all box steel sliders? Again only box steel.

What are your opinions on combination box and tube steel sliders?

I also would like to know what you think about weight vs. durability and cost of materials. Looks are also a factor but last on my list.

And Discuss.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'll give you my $0.02. It is going to depend a lot on what you are looking to do with your truck. I do not wheel my X very hard - I love to go out and have fun but I've never had my truck sitting on my sliders. I have the sliders that you pictured on top and they work great for me. I welded on plates and have them bolted into the stock step mounting points. Keep in mind the type of steel that you are looking at as well. My sliders are HREW (hot rolled electro-something welded) which is not as strong as DOM (drawn over mandrel) but like I mentioned I'm not looking to be able to drop my truck on my sliders. The tradeoff is that DOM is quite a bit more expensive. The set you show on top are Trail-Gear and cost <$150 and the ones on bottom look like Shrockworks which are closer to $400.
Personally, I like the additional protection offered by either the style of the all tube or combo pictures.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Really it is personal preferance, as long as the tube wall is thick enough it does not matter that much.

Square tube is easier to work with, unless you want to bend it. Round tube is easier to bend, but you need to notch it when making making butt welds.

Round or square work well for keeping your rockers from getting torn up.

What is more important is having them stick out far enough so that you can use them to pivot around trees without getting into your doors. It can make tight trails much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really it is personal preferance, as long as the tube wall is thick enough it does not matter that much.

Square tube is easier to work with, unless you want to bend it. Round tube is easier to bend, but you need to notch it when making making butt welds.

Round or square work well for keeping your rockers from getting torn up.

What is more important is having them stick out far enough so that you can use them to pivot around trees without getting into your doors. It can make tight trails much more enjoyable.
I know nothing about welding. Can you explain what notching the tube steel when making a butt weld means and why it is important?

Thanks for the tip about sticking out far enough to protect the doors. That is something I will take into account if I have this local guy fab up a pair.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The set you show on top are Trail-Gear and cost <$150
Where could I buy a set of those for that price? Everything I've found is $350 & up. With a new baby, I can't afford a set of $400 Shrocks right now :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
By notching, he means that you would have to literally put a U shaped notch in the end of the tube to get it to fit flush with the piece your welding it against. Picture trying to weld a piece of tube with a flat end into a section of round tube, it wouldnt work. To do this you have to have a piece of equipment called a notcher. Thats why most people that make their own armor use square stock.

If your getting them fabricated its really all about preference, Im assuming he can work with both round and square tube, so why not get an estimate for both?

The most important thing is that they fit what you plan to with your vehicle, and are strong enough to withstand whatever you can/will throw at them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Where could I buy a set of those for that price? Everything I've found is $350 & up. With a new baby, I can't afford a set of $400 Shrocks right now :)
I think that I ordered the 67" sliders and actually found them on ebay with free shipping but they are same ones shown in link above. You will need to weld the legs on to the rest of the slider and buy some plate if you want them bolted on to the stock step rail mounting points.

·
Registered
6,737 Posts
i have "extreme offroad equipment" (EOE) sliders (fabricator who used to do lots of xterra work back in the day)...they are fully boxed steel, they look a lot like the middle picture you posted

they might not be as good looking as full tube sliders, but its still steel and its still freaking strong....i've lifted my truck up by them, slammed them down on stumps and rocks, you name it i've put them through it....IMHO its really unlikely that you will be doing anything so intense that difference in strength will be a factor you would be talking about tens of thousands of pounds of force before it would matter

the only thing i suggest is going for the thickest wall you can weld/afford/lift....you don't need too much thickness, maybe .125", but don't go for a super-thin wall or else you will just bend and kink them

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for the link Vandebogart. This is exactly what I was trying to find.

I think that I ordered the 67" sliders and actually found them on ebay with free shipping but they are same ones shown in link above.
Are you happy with those sliders? I am needing to same money but I don't want to buy junk either.

Their website says "Strong enough to take the entire weight of the truck. A high-lift jack can be used anywhere along it's length for repositioning of rig or axle servicing." It also says "Note: All weld-on rock slider are 100% 1035 DOM tubing."

If they actually are DOM then I think they would be strong enough for anything I would need anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
tube is stronger than box

meaning that using less steel(less weight) with tubes you can achieve equal strength to the box steel

OR

use equal wieght of both and the tube will be stronger than the box

1 - 12 of 12 Posts