Nissan XTerra Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
There's just no reason to go anywhere above a "reasonable speed". I don't care what people say, or their reason for doing it. There's no reason to travel in excess of 75 mph on any freeway in the country, any back road, or any other road. If you want to go crazy fast without regard for the rest of the public, go drive the Autobahn in Germany. I've done it twice now; and it's an experience you will never forget..and one that you will never match on any U.S. interstate, regardless the speed you try to attain. I was in a Porsche doing around 140-150 there; and trust me..there's nothing better.

You'll spend the money either way eventually...either pay for a nice European vacation, drive the Autobahn while you're out there, have a good time, get some good photos, good food, and see lots of awesome sights...or, you can get reckless driving tickets over and over again, pay the same amount of money in court fees, ticket fees, eventually attorney's fees, and God forbid you kill someone else on the road or a friend in the car...then your wallet is empty for the rest of your life.

Now, doesn't a trip to Ze Fazerland sound better? ;)

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Yep nothing over 80 in the X, but I hit 152 in my 03 RSX-s through the desert on my way to Utah. Super fun, no regrets

See, that's about the only part about doing those speeds in the US that I don't disagree with. Sure, if you're on the wide open desert highways, and there's no one around but you, some Armadillos, and vultures...sure...go nuts. If something bad happens, then at least you're not endangering anyone else as those highways can be like ghost towns at certain parts during the day and night.

Anything that fast in a populated area here in the U.S. is just stupid.

The Autobahn is a bit different...there are lanes for certain speeds (such as fast, faster, and "get the f--- out of the way, you have no business being in this lane ;) )...so everyone around you is doing at least 100...and if you're not willing to go at least that speed, then you need to stick to the country roads to get where you need to go.

·
Premium Member
4,148 Posts
I was over in Germany in 2001 w/ my Oma and we had a blast there. the Autobahn was great..we were in my relatives Benz diesel minivan and we had a bunch of Audi, Porsche 911 & BMW passing us like we were standing still. What a great country...recommend it anybody who like good food fast cars and great beer.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm from Atlanta, i don't understand how you guys can go less than 70 MPH? We'll run you off the road for going that slow, we've got places to be!

I'm pretty sure I hit something close to 115-120 once, it was 4 AM and a long empty stretch of highway. I remember looking down for a quick second and thinking "Huh, that looks about like 124 MPH." And considering i'm coming from a lifted jeep Cherokee, the X feels like a racecar.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Less than 70? Because it's typically the smart thing to do when you have a lifted Xterra (which is already top heavy in stock form before raising the center of gravity with larger tires and a lift), and armored on all 4 sides as well as underneath the truck...and riding on larger than stock tires. Yeah, that's pretty much why. I'd love to see a car or truck run me off the road...the armor on my truck alone would tear through most cars and trucks like they were tin foil; especially at highway speeds (and yes, that would include a stock Xterra with no armor) ;) Then again, I don't try to run people off the road for going slower than me. I know to stay out of the fast lane if I'm only going to be going 65-70mph...I'm not one of those people that looks for slower cars on the highway to run off the road.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
you want want to check your tires for their speed rating....as for the speeding-go for it. i view it as "thinning the herd"-the planet has too many people anyway. just stay in FL plz :)

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
There's no reason to travel in excess of 75 mph on any freeway in the country, any back road, or any other road.
Simply because I feel argumentative I'll add this:
When I was stationed in Ft Polk, LA we had a long weekend and went clubbing in Houston. On the way back we ran into a tornado that was running parallel to the highway, not knowing which way it was going I decided to make a run away from it. I passed a Texas State Trooper with his lights on like he was standing still once we could tell the storm had turned I pulled over and the Trooper caught up to us and pulled in behind me. All he said after checking over my ID, registration was, "I sure wish my patrol car could go that fast".
I figured I used up a lot of karma there so drove like a little old lady for the next few months.

I do believe there are times when you need to drive fast so long as you weigh the consequences to yourself and others against the situation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Less than 70? Because it's typically the smart thing to do when you have a lifted Xterra (which is already top heavy in stock form before raising the center of gravity with larger tires and a lift), and armored on all 4 sides as well as underneath the truck...and riding on larger than stock tires. Yeah, that's pretty much why. I'd love to see a car or truck run me off the road...the armor on my truck alone would tear through most cars and trucks like they were tin foil; especially at highway speeds (and yes, that would include a stock Xterra with no armor) ;) Then again, I don't try to run people off the road for going slower than me. I know to stay out of the fast lane if I'm only going to be going 65-70mph...I'm not one of those people that looks for slower cars on the highway to run off the road.
You're right, I certainly was not kidding at ALL in my post. If I see someone going less than 70, I'm going to ram them off the side of the road. We got rid of police in atlanta too, so it's cool.

There are alot of other things I could say, but I'll probably just end up putting my foot in my mouth.
I drive a stock Xterra, and I drive it well. You don't know the conditions I drive in, or how I drive in said conditions, so there's no way for you to make a judgement call on how dangerous it is. Yes, inherently going 80 over 70 is more dangerous, but 60 is safer than 70, and 50 is safer than 60, and pretty soon we'll all be driving those electric shopping carts they have at the grocery store.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
You're right; you put your foot in your mouth lol...but you're also right about one more thing; there is no way for me to make a judgement call about SUVs traveling at high speeds....the NTSB has already done it for me, and the paramedics I know that scrape people off the streets after racing know better than anyone. I believe I remember one of them saying that there "wasn't enough brains left on the windshield to scrape off with a spoon". Probably because there wasn't enough to start with in the first place.

Fzzt, I can certainly understand your argument...but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about people just wanting to see how fast their heavy SUVs can go; and when they don't go fast enough for their liking, they ask questions about removing safety features on their cars and trucks

This is a girl that decided going 100mph was fun:

This is one of those situations that my paramedic friends always talked about with the brains; the road was dry, the conditions were clear, and there was no one else on the road....100mph isn't that fast all things considered when you think about the car being capable of speeds higher than that. But hit a stationary object at anything over 80mph; and you end up with more than your foot in your mouth...you end up with the dash in your mouth, the windshield in your mouth, and if you travel fast enough then I guess it really is possible to literally end up with your foot in your mouth. This gir's mouth was ripped open 5 times its size; so she has enough room for her feet AND your feet too.

These last images aren't necessarily work or family safe...so I'll just give you the link and you can click on it if you want to:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6879/6mw0.jpg

http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/4033/8qg2.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
holy crap
this threaad got both entertaining and disturbing at the same time, i was loling at mad max driving, and getting rid of police in atlanta
then
BAM
reality check
the basic thing ive learned fromthreads like this is that the people who drive recklessly, are over confident, and refuse to actually consider what those who do not tell them, and treat said responsible drivers as automotive 'prudes' for lack of a better word, the reality is that driving at excessive speeds in a top heavy vehicle IS reckless and that is FACT
everyone says tha same thing in every thread on every forum

slow: it dumb to drive that fast for reasons 1, 2, 3, 4, etc
fast: it was a long empty stretch of road rabble rabble
slow: its irresponsible, other peeps live, etc. blah blah
fast: dont presume to judge me you werent there you dont know the conditions, etc etc

fact is, its reckless and ya shouldnt do it, i know this, everyone knows this, some people just wont admit it
so, to get thru these threads swiftly and with as little offense as possible how about just admitting that its irresponsible, reckless and you have no acutal reason to drive that fast, you just want to, you know the risks but they are not high enough
then we can get on with our xterra lovin lives
:engel-big:

·
Happy X-ing
333 Posts
That was graphic, but it was, or should be, a reality check to us all. and agreed with ricer-x lets just agree it is not safe to go that fast, in the us in 99% of the situations end of story?

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
a black car

lol

nah, im not locking anything unless it appears most people want it locked OR its inappropriate

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
i think the orig driver IS the mess

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
That girl picking up the aftermath is from the coroner's office.

Sure, it was graphic but it just goes to show what can happen at speeds not much over 95 mph. You hit a stationary brick wall and you're usually toast. I put the last two into links because I didn't want them showing up on a screen if someone was browsing this at work (shame on you...oh wait...I'm at work! :mocking: ), or if someone had a kid in the room or a friend or family member who is sensitive to that kind of stuff.

Good points though Dustin...and Ian I agree that it should just be left alone. It's a constant struggle between the two sides...much like those damn Mac vs. PC arguments that seem to pop up every once in a while ;)

As for the car...I believe it was a newer Civic (2006+). Yeah, the driver is the one you can barely recognize hanging over the side of the stripped open car with the black and white shirt on.

·
*Channylicious*
1,293 Posts
Yeah I saw those pictures a while back.. HORRIBLE...!!! I heard that the parents are suing the Law Enforcement and EMT stations because SOMEONE released those pics and they got posted online.

Anyways, point proven Dave. Kudos for you. No more speeding! haha

addition: I read it was her daddys porshe. Notice, the first pic of the car is not the same in the other pics. The rear end is different AND it was upside down, so therefor the vehicle would have had damage on the top.....

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Oh the grey car is a civic no doubt, its the one upside down on the building that we cant figger out

41 - 60 of 82 Posts