Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys been awhile since i ve been around been busy with the newborn but question i first noticed this back in april but i never really drive that fast to have notice it again until this pass weekend i was driving down the freeway doing bout 85 mph while i slowly crept up to 91-94 and my truck made this weird feeling like it gonna shut down on me and i am not driving a stick shift so now i am worried about going over 90 any ideas what it is , it kinda feels like the truck has a governor at 90 and shakes a lil and then when i slow down it goes back to normal but always at over 90 :kalt-big:

·
Premium Member
8,542 Posts
That's called a rev limiter. Don't go 95!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Um..the computer is telling you, slow down.

Unless you have some speed rated tires on there, don't push it. We don't need a "Ford Exploder" reputation.

I've cruised at around 90mph when the wife and I were late for a funeral once. Driving back roads from Texas to Colorado. My wheelbase is longer than your X, more stable. Pushing a shorter wheelbase would've been hairy.

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
95? Maybe in my Maxima lol.

In the X I rarely go above 75 and after putting 33's on I usually keep it slower than that so it doesn't guzzle down the gas.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Ive only got mine up to about 85 on the interstate passing someone to get out of the hammer lane but I never noticed any problems. They are pretty undpredictable at those speeds the slightest wind would throw me around. Its the one thing my old cherokee was better at it would run up to 110mph (was young and dumb)and still be predictable for an suv.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
yeah, ive hit 250mph in my xterra, no biggie, im a race car driver

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
WHOAHHHHH u guys top out at 65 ????? hows that possible when i have gone 95 in my truck and not toped out yet? i dont dare go over 95....mine dosent rattle or anythin

·
*Channylicious*
1,293 Posts
I think what everyone is saying, is that X's arent ment to go over 90 haha. Its not a hot rod, its an SUV. Its probably normal for it to do that, I was going 95 in a Dodge Powerwagon and it did the same thing. Just slow down and dont be stupid. If you got pulled over going that fast here.. its attempting suicide and if someone is with you, attempted manslaughter. They make speed limits for a reason, to keep you and others SAFE!

Ehsan--- You must have the best Xterra out there. Yours seems to be PERFECT. You sure you got your numbers straight on that?

------"its the governer, i think it is set to like 94." Its set on 95. At least 04 models are.

=D

·
Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
I'll admit I have had the X up to 90. Not for long periods. It was smooth running and ran really well and handled well. Of course my X also has the speed sensitive steering. Not sure if this is on all the next gens. Something that cyclemut pointed out though and you should always take into consideration when buying tires is the speed rating. Most people never think about it.

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
the x isnt a race car and id be a little worried about something going wrong at those speeds... .especially since i have a 3" SL and 33's....

·
Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
the x isnt a race car and id be a little worried about something going wrong at those speeds... .especially since i have a 3" SL and 33's....

Word!!!:D

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
i kno what my x is...i dont go over the speed its intended for much..but sometime i am on the highway with noone on there going 95..what im tryin to say is why does ur governer kick in at like 85?

·
Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
Thank God it looks like he didn't kill anyone but himslef...jeez...WTF?????

Always wear your seat belts kids!!!

1 - 20 of 82 Posts