Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how do you guys transport your bikes? I originally thought I would get a hitch style setup, but they wouldn't allow me to open my hatch. A roof setup is out of the question, never have liked the idea of mounting the bike way up high. So the only real option I have left that I see is putting it inside the X. I can't lay both seats down, have a carseat on the passenger side. Any suggestions? Is the X tall enough to stand the bike up inside of it?

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
In the past I have put two adult bikes and one 20" kids bike inside the X with room for 3 people. The adult bikes had front wheels removed and I bungied the seat neck to the overhead handholds so they didn't tip over. Worked great.

Now, i use a Thule 956 hitch mount. This model tips back to allow hatch access. There are also other carriers that swing away too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
There are hitch mount racks and fold down. I am saving up for one right now.

For now, I just take the front wheel off and put one back seat down. I place the bike with the front forks facing the back of the xterra. There are two strap hooks or maybe they're for car seats or something, but they're in the floor and i use those to attach my strap...Then I just tighten it down across the top tube. I'll try to take a picture next time I go and upload it for you.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
If you are looking to save your hard earned dough, try craigslist. Bike racks are always on there.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I also have one of the tilting hitch carriers and it does the job. Only thing about them is that they can get quite heavy to lift back up with 3 or 4 bikes on it, but its not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i made a interior bike mount for mine yesterday using some square tube i bought at home depot. also got a front fork holder and wheel holder off amazon. got the idea from somewhere on this site but cant remember where. should try the search for a interior bike rack.

·
Registered
177 Posts
ill post up some pictures of my homemade roof rack mount. Its basically just a fork mount that is connected tot he plastic roof basket. The rear tire sits on the rear cross bar and is U-bolted into place. I love it and it only took me about 30 minutes to think of the idea and put it all together with the hardware i had. Takes about 15 min to put on., Would be faster but i took my roof basket off to mount the bolts onto it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Im not a huge fan of throwing dirty bikes in my truck after a day of riding...especially if I have a friend or 2 with me.

Hitch mount is the only way to go for the dirt-scooters. Mine is a Yakima I believe. I can take some pics when I get home. It holds 4 bikes, locks to the hitch, and there is a cable lock on the end of the rack.

I would go for the roof mount, except who wants to put bikes on a roof? Not me...

·
Registered
23 Posts
I currently use a 3 bike carrier from Allen Sports (hitch mounted and foldable), got it cheap at Amazon (~$50 back then, the models have changed and so do prices).

Prior to that I tied the frame to the pet guard divider that came w/ my X, but had to remove the tires so it would fit.
Pro: is that the bike is more "secure" on the inside.
Cons: You can only fit around 2 bikes (probably 3, but never tried...), interior gets dirty.

·
Registered
177 Posts
couple of pics of how i transport my bike on my roof. Cant stand putting a muddy bike inside of my car. Plus the mud dries and gets my subwoofer box all dirty and its jsut a mess. Plus a roof mount might give you an excuse to get a rear hatch safari ladder :)

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
^Now that's a cool mod!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks buddy. I was thinking about doing a how to, but it seemed kind of self explanatory by looking at the pictures.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i made a interior bike mount for mine yesterday using some square tube i bought at home depot. also got a front fork holder and wheel holder off amazon. got the idea from somewhere on this site but cant remember where. should try the search for a interior bike rack.

Awesome Idea. I've got a few of those fork mounts lying around, I am definitely going to do this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
North Shore Rack

Pure awesome, will not work for road bikes though as there is not enough gap between the wheel and fork.

Really easy to load, which is great when the bikes weight 50lb and you've been riding for 7 hours. Folds down easily. I can open the rear hatch without removing or even folding the hitch section of the rack.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I just have to remove front tire, and wrap it up with one of my boys bike also on the rack and the smallest bike in the X. I like this because I can also haul carcases, coolers or whatever with it. I like to have multiple options with stuff I have to buy and STORE away.

:D

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm a new Xterra owner. One week tomorrow! My wife and I are going to Florida next month. Cargo area will have luggage of course. I was thinking of getting a bike rack for our two bikes. But I want to be able to open the hatch without a lot of hassle. Suggestions?
CHEAP suggestions?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts