Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I've got a 2005 Xterra with 178K miles on it. I bought it new and had some warranty issues about 6 years ago, but aside from that it's been great. Recently my transmission started slipping. I took it to local mechanic and discovered the radiator/transmission cooler problem. I'm not sure how to describe this problem but bet you all might know what I'm talking about! I had a new radiator installed, and flushed the transmission ($780.00). Within a week the transmission went out anyway. It will cost 5,000.00 +/- to repair whether I get a remanufactured one (local mechanic), or have my existing rebuilt (AAMCO).

I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on how long this car might run if I do the work--how many miles, that is. The timing belt was changed at the warranty work, as was the engine control module. Both catalytic converters are out and I don't plan to replace them unless I move back to the city (too expensive!). There are a few other minor fixes to make, plus regular maintenance items.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
You don't have a timing belt - were the timing chain guides changed? The SMOD issue (your rad/trans issue) and the timing chain guides are the big ones. The rear axle tends to leak and needs replacing. Both other than that I think you can expect it to run for a good while longer.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Do the tranny, add a tranny cooler, change everything to synthetics, do a tune up, and let it ride for another 150k

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Premium Member
8,523 Posts
Hi there! I've got a 2005 Xterra with 178K miles on it. I bought it new and had some warranty issues about 6 years ago, but aside from that it's been great. Recently my transmission started slipping. I took it to local mechanic and discovered the radiator/transmission cooler problem. I'm not sure how to describe this problem but bet you all might know what I'm talking about! I had a new radiator installed, and flushed the transmission ($780.00). Within a week the transmission went out anyway. It will cost 5,000.00 +/- to repair whether I get a remanufactured one (local mechanic), or have my existing rebuilt (AAMCO).

I would like to know if anyone has an opinion on how long this car might run if I do the work--how many miles, that is. The timing belt was changed at the warranty work, as was the engine control module. Both catalytic converters are out and I don't plan to replace them unless I move back to the city (too expensive!). There are a few other minor fixes to make, plus regular maintenance items.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
No on rebuild you never be happy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You don't have a timing belt - were the timing chain guides changed? The SMOD issue (your rad/trans issue) and the timing chain guides are the big ones. The rear axle tends to leak and needs replacing. Both other than that I think you can expect it to run for a good while longer.
I've got the service records here from the warranty work in '05. Related to the timing chain, the invoice items read, 'replace secondary timing chain (chain-cams/tensioner/seal-OR); is this what you speak of?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do the tranny, add a tranny cooler, change everything to synthetics, do a tune up, and let it ride for another 150k

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:
Is 'add a tranny cooler,' the same as bypassing the one in the radiator? I have heard about this but am not sure if that's what you mean (The new radiator has one in there).

·
Premium Member
8,523 Posts
Is remanufactured better than rebuild?
Yes its built by Nissan . The problem with the trans is its more complicated than a Sw watch and just putting a clutch pack and seals and giving it a bath is not going fix the problem. Most of the time the case is bad and by the time you buy new case all the bearings ,valve body and etc you spent more than Nissan rem. You would never rebuild a engine with out boring the cyl,line boring the crank gernals ,checking the deck height, turning the crank. So why would put some new parts in a old worn out trans.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes its built by Nissan . The problem with the trans is its more complicated than a Sw watch and just putting a clutch pack and seals and giving it a bath is not going fix the problem. Most of the time the case is bad and by the time you buy new case all the bearings ,valve body and etc you spent more than Nissan rem. You would never rebuild a engine with out boring the cyl,line boring the crank gernals ,checking the deck height, turning the crank. So why would put some new parts in a old worn out trans.
Yes--that makes sense and I'm glad you clarified that. I'm narrowing down my options and appreciate your insight into this! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,523 Posts
Yes--that makes sense and I'm glad you clarified that. I'm narrowing down my options and appreciate your insight into this! Thanks!
If you on a budget lot rather see get a low mileage junk yard unit ,would be much better than rebuilding. Or you could buy the whole wreak sell the motor and some parts and get the trans for free.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Is 'add a tranny cooler,' the same as bypassing the one in the radiator? I have heard about this but am not sure if that's what you mean (The new radiator has one in there).
Yes, the ones in your radiator don't work well, and honestly heat up your coolant more, so yes bypass and add a cooler, imho

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the update on what I decided to do:

Last Tuesday I had my Xterra towed to the dealer. Their price on a remanufactured was good comparably despite have a large tow bill to get it there! They are installing a remanufactured transmission (4,335.00) and other maintenance items as follows:

Front and rear brakes (pads, rotors, shims)
Oil coolant O ring seal
R/H front axle seal
R/H Rear axle seal
Power steering flush
Brake fluid flush
Drive belts
Tensioner

The total for all repairs is 5,734.00, which I think is pretty good, all things considered. I should be squared away for suggested maintenance items, with the exception of tires (will get somewhere besides dealer), and catalytic converters.

How's this sound? Any opinions?

Thanks--Marta

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sounds good to me...now just bypass those cats until you can afford new ones...lol

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds good to me...now just bypass those cats until you can afford new ones...lol

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:
Hey! I didn't think of that! Lol . . .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One more thing--on a tune up. At the dealer, they charge 496.00 for a tune up. This includes new spark plugs (which they say are very expensive), a cabin filter change and oil change. Is this something I should do, or can I wait as long as it's running all right? It seems a little expensive to me . . .

·
Registered
444 Posts
You can probably do the work yourself for under 200, and that is using top notch everything

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Wish list:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Again! Looks like my car is just about ready. There is one thing I asked them to check that is not done, and I would like to ask you guys about it:

My right side rear door is frozen in the closed position (in other words, it won't open using the inside or outside handle). They have not yet taken the door panel off but are telling me it needs a new actuator. I asked how they know it's the actuator if the panel isn't off; and apparently it's the only thing it could be. My quote is 500.00+ parts/labor. I think that is high, especially for something that they have not visually inspected.

Is this something that a body shop might do? Maybe I can do it myself? I have some interiors experience and it's not brain surgery, but it was on aircraft not cars. Still--I know some car interior guys and might be able to get some pointers. On the other hand, I've got a loaner and if they did it while it's there, I wouldn't be out of a car. AND, if the cost would be the same at a body shop, or if it's hard to do, then it might be worth having them do it.

Your opinion/s?

Thanks! Marta

1 - 19 of 19 Posts