Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have sifted thru multiple posts, but still can't find the answer I need.
I have an 01 3.3. Was driving going about 70 down the highway the other day, when I lost all power to trans. It topped out the rpm gauge for a second until I got down to 30ish mph. At this point second engaged, and it would drive normal until I tried to go beyond 30, where it would feel like it's in neutral, the rpm would raise but no acceleration was applied. The vehicle will shift from first to second, but where it would normally engage third it acts like it's in neutral. If I change gears manually I can top out second at about 35 but slip it into drive it won't even try to engage third. I hooked up an obd-II and the only code to come back was the knock sensor. I had the time yesterday so did the bypass on it. No other coffee are active, no odd lights are on, and there is no way I can afford to take this to the shop. I am sure I can manage to do the labor myself, but have no idea what to do next.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sounds like a band slipping in the tranny. Just guessing no real idea. Fluid level ok? Also smell the dipstick, shouldn't smell burnt. Some one with more experience will weigh in but my guess is internal troubles in the tranny. Easiest is probably to replace it. Maybe change the fluid first though.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hmm I'm puzzled. Wonder if the third gear band is gone. Hopefully not. But where it happened suddenly I'm thinking some little stupid thing instead . Maybe a valve is stuck open. I'm out of ideas. Anybody else got a suggestion?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought maybe something like that, but I don't think the band explains the loss of power from fifth down to 30 ish. I originally thought I may have had a knock sensor malfunction, but it's been replaced. I then thought perhaps a speed sensor not registering correctly, but as far as I can tell, it's functioning normally as well...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Maybe drop the pan and see if any solenoids broke off or the valve body is damaged? Not sure how much you can get to from underneath but worth a shot before you have to junk the tranny.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, no symptoms on the gauges, and no lights on the dash, no codes showing on the obd reader.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
There are no electrical involved shifting in to third gear only mechanical . Shift solenoid plugged up or solenoid rusted spring broken off or clutch bands slipping. I would go with 1# and 2# Pull the pan see whats in the bottom of the pan ,change solenoid A for third gear change fluid clean screen add a magnet to the inside of pan ,see what happens . Don't have trans rebuild you will not be happy find a low mileage donor trans same year change it out and go on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, I have some free time tomorrow, I'll drop the pan and start playing around in it. Thanks, I'll post tomorrow if I can find the problem.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
You really need to drop the trans cross member so you need a floor jack and a jack stand to hold up the trans while the cross member is out.Be careful of the pan bolts they strip just looking at them!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts