Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 02 4x4 xterra and I have to let off the gas to go into 3rd then it does not ever go into 4th. If I hit the o/d off button it'll cruise like neutral. I was told it could be the high end clutch, automatic and the belt in the trans.
Any thing info will be much appropriated, I figure I'll just buy a new tranny.
Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hello, I have a 02 4x4 xterra and I have to let off the gas to go into 3rd then it does not ever go into 4th. If I hit the o/d off button it'll cruise like neutral. I was told it could be the high end clutch, automatic and the belt in the trans.
Any thing info will be much appropriated, I figure I'll just buy a new tranny.
Thanks
How many miles are on the transmission fluid? Is it a nice pink or is it taking on the brown tone? Fluid level is important of course but new proper fluid can do wonders. Fluid chemistry is very important in auto trans fluids and heat tears down this chemistry over time. A full flush that clears the torque converter fluid in the process is the way to have it done right.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the fluid was bad after replacing it added Lucas tranny fix. It was a bit brown, magnet on tranny pan was swollen but no major metal debris. I flushed the coolant and tranny. I cleared limp mode and other codes but no codes on the tranny. I personally think its the clutch high end.
Thanks dude for real!

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think the fluid was bad after replacing it added Lucas tranny fix. It was a bit brown, magnet on tranny pan was swollen but no major metal debris. I flushed the coolant and tranny. I cleared limp mode and other codes but no codes on the tranny. I personally think its the clutch high end.
Thanks dude for real!
Good transmission fluid isn't cheap but it sure beats a new transmission! Sounds like you got her done. Good job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I checked again they said "to do a transmission pressure test, if that is good then the valve body is removed and all forward gears air checked to see if the forward clutches can hold". So my mechanic said we can rent the tools from
o'reilly. Anybody have any additional advise?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
When a transmission is not shifting correctlyeveyone assumes the issue is with the transmission, but there are a number of sensors that are instrumental in determining shift timing.

I would check the TPS as it can cause shifting issues since it is used to calculate and determine the shift points. It's possible you just need to do the relearn procedure.
Was there any other work done on the vehicle recently?

Here's a previous thread with a similar issue.

Reactions: XT2015
1 - 6 of 6 Posts