Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do alot of DIY work on my 2000 xterra. However I've never done a transmission flush on my car. Is it as simple as draining the transmission fluid and closing it up and adding new fluid and new gasket or is it not ? Lol please advise thanks!!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not sure how involved a 1st gen is, but on my 2nd gen Frontier I drained the pan, added 5 qts then disconnected the hose feeding the trans cooler and drained and filled 1 gallon at a time. That way I got all the old fluid out of the torque converter and lines. This was after I used Amsoil's Engine and Trans Flush. Fluid came out pretty dirty. I use it on all the oil changes I do. It works really good.

Steve Benecke
AMSOIL dealer
www.lubedealer.com/code3synthetics

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Don't do it. Lol. There's a dead X in my driveway to prove the theory of its a bad idea to touch an auto tranny.

After I flushed it this past summer, it started to slip, and lag. Then last month, she finally have up.

If say you kept up with the reg schedules for a tranny flush you might be fine, but i wouldn't risk it again.

Are you having any problems now with it?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
560 Posts
X2

On an old vehicle, unless it has been changed regularly and you are just keeping with tradition, let it be.

New fluid can clean up and free up gunk and whatnot already in there which in turn can find its way around where you dont want it, causing problems. If all is well, just let it be.

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
I ran the risk this weekend, at changed my 178K fluid. Mainly because I was getting really hard shifts, and it was really getting brown. I just drained, refilled, ran for 500 miles, then drianed and refilled again. If it craps out, well I should have maintained it as well as I have the rest of the truck.

·
Registered
560 Posts
That is the route I am taking with my FJ since it is closer to new. Draining just the pan every 10K miles to get new fluid introduced consistently. Pan only holds 4 qt's out of the 12 that are in it so little by little it should stay fresh-ish

The dipstick on the XTerra still shows full, red, and not terrible smelling fluid (smells like Crayons sort of) If it ever came down to is I'd shove a bottle of Lucas Trans stuff down that tube. We had an old beater Corolla that started hanging shifts and acting a little odd. Put a bottle down the dipstick and never had any more problems with the trans! I figure once it is old and a cheapo vehicle, might as well try anything simple like that to keep it going!

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
dont flush, but just do a drain and fill with a new trans filter and add some lucas transmission fix to it, that stuff works great at maintaining old trannys, not really fix anything but good for keeping er from slipping and shuddering, basically. this method is better than a flush unless you have documentation from the whole life of the truck that the fluid was changed at specified intervals

·
Registered
36 Posts
I flush all my vehicles if it is going to slip I'd rather it start now than doing it in x miles down the road who knows where, if metallic particles are somehow providing your auto clutches with the "friction" you need to keep running I'd rather know now than later.
Speaking of that, on the Gen 1 is the Transmission cooler IN port on the drivers side?
and then return line on the passenger side of the cooler?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts