Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
2000-2004 will work. You can also use a Frontier transmission from the same years, which may aid your search.

2005 and later will not.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
You may be able to find a JDM for a reasonable price. They are typically 60 to 70k miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just did this repair myself, and I ended up putting a 2001 Frontier transmission into my '02 Xterra. On part interchange search from Nissan parts the 2000-2002 Xterra and 1999-2002 Frontier come up as matches. Many other vehicles use the same transmission (Jatco RE4R01A), but with different TCUs. Pathfinder transmissions are not the same Nissan part number, but someone with more experience than me could tell you if it will work or if you'll end up with a check engine light. If you go with a 2003 or 2004 Xterra transmission you'll need a matching TCU, since the TCU was updated in 2003. I have a spare if you need it.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,226 Posts
Yes it will. If it was from a supercharged you will need the flexplate (flywheel) as the torque converter bolt pattern is different.
I have done this in the past, but I put the smaller torque converter into the supercharged transmission. There are two basic variations I’ve seen of the 4 speed. The higher horsepower variation(3.5 pathfinder and S/C VG) have the larger torque converter as well as the turbine rev sensor. You can leave the sensor unplugged if not needed but can’t work the other way without a TCM. When locating a TCM you need to verify that the truck was equipped how you want it. VDC and non VDC computers communicate differently

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just did this repair myself, and I ended up putting a 2001 Frontier transmission into my '02 Xterra. On part interchange search from Nissan parts the 2000-2002 Xterra and 1999-2002 Frontier come up as matches. Many other vehicles use the same transmission (Jatco RE4R01A), but with different TCUs. Pathfinder transmissions are not the same Nissan part number, but someone with more experience than me could tell you if it will work or if you'll end up with a check engine light. If you go with a 2003 or 2004 Xterra transmission you'll need a matching TCU, since the TCU was updated in 2003. I have a spare if you need it.
Shane12970

So to clarify if I do put 04 in an 01 I need to change out TCU also

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Probably not. I think I put a 04 S/C transmission in a 02 N/A car and it worked fine with the torque converter swap

·
Registered
49 Posts
Correct, you don't need to swap the TCU if you're putting a newer trans in an older truck, but you would if you put an older trans in a newer truck. I also swapped an 04 Xterra SC trans into my 1994 pathfinder. Used the larger converter and flexplate. The only difference there was the wiring harness that plugs into the trans sensors, and then to the truck, was not long enough for the pathfinder. Easy to just swap, it all plugs in. I'm not sure if the X/Frontier had any differences like that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
got a 2002 xterra supercharged 4x4 can’t seem to find the stock trans anywhere but new what other years can I put in it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I replaced my 2002 Xterra 4x4 with a 2001 Frontier 4x4 transmission. Nissan lists the 1999-2002 Frontier and 2000-2002 Xterra as the same trans part #. I'm not aware of any modifications to the transmission for the supercharged X. The transmission used is a Nissan/Jatco Re4R01A, which is also in some Pathfinders but I'm not sure if all the sensors and wiring are interchangeable.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
There is a couple variations of this. The pathfinders and supercharged xterras have heavier parts and an additional speed sensor

1 - 15 of 15 Posts