Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a slightly wrecked 2005 Xterra SE with 4wd and a functional 2007 Xterra S with 2wd. Is it possible to pull the 4wd bits off of the one and stick them on the other?

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
672 Posts
Yes it’s entirely possible, however it’s very likely outside the ability of the average DIYer. Just an off the top of my head list: front differential, front axles, front wheel bearings, transmission(or at least the tail shaft), transfer case, front and rear drive shafts. As far as the electronics go: 4WD switch from dash, possibly the trim that surrounds it, ALL MODE/4WD control unit, TCM(part of control valve), probably the main harness and the fuel injection harness as well. The ECM will need to be reprogrammed for a 4WD model which most dealers will not perform. Otherwise, you’d need the ECM from the donor vehicle and have it towed to the dealer to program keys and register the correct VIN number, otherwise it won’t get through emissions. Almost certainly there’s a few things I’m forgetting, possibly the rear differential if the rear shaft doesn’t bolt up to it. Instrument cluster may be different as well. Different states have different procedures on a vehicle that the mileage is known not to be accurate. Definitely could be pulled off but you’d probably need some friends at Nissan if you ever wanted it to work properly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch. I could do most of the mechanical stuff, but once you get into the wiring stuff, the answer quickly became absolutely not.

Thanks for answering!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts