Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just broke my CV and will be buying a new one, and I stumbled upon these TrakMotive "extended" cv axle for the Xterra

NI-8099XTT

That is the part number, I was wondering if anyone are running these?

if not what is a strong alternative I can throw in?

thank you

·
Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, AC UCA & BL
1,849 Posts
They have one. Nobody else in the universe does. I’m pretty sure they’re discontinued. I emailed the company that makes them just out of curiosity, no response

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I did see them on napas site as well. I have a friend who runs a Napa store so I was trying to see if I can get player price or what that would even be. You can blow up a lot of axles for $600 and they’re pretty easy to change

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So is it worth my time tracking a pair down? Cause my axle broke because it pulled right through the cir clip inside the hub and then caused the spline to f themselves, which if I'm guessing the slip section would have prevented that kind of failure

The TRQ ones look legit but don't have that slip section

What would y'all do?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn that thing is pretty stout

I'm going to the junkyard tomorrow and will grab the axle there

Im going to wait and grab the Napa ones when I do the lokka and hub upgrade, kinda do the whole front end at once type beat

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Yes I took that picture yesterday. I had them get me one because I wanted to see it. I don’t have a pair and haven’t installed them just wanted to see how they look. I’ll probably work on getting a cheaper set of them today and install them at a later time. I just got the hardware to install my steering upgrade so that will come first. Hopefully tomorrow. Then on the way home I have to do a smog check

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay so the junkyard was a bust, so I ended up buying two Trakmotive axles from rock auto and they will be in the mail soon, along with warn hubs and upper ball joints. Ill let yall know how it goes

·
Registered
2000, Xterra, SE, 2” body lift, 3” Sus lift, 35” BFG KO2’s, ARB Lockers x2, custom metal work
7 Posts
I bought a pair of those hoping that they would be stronger than the stock CV axles. Turns out they are not. The weak point is the cage that holds the bearings in the outer joint.
I busted the first one the first day after installing them. I slid off the snowy trail into some deep powder and bang. It was done.
I did get it replaced under warranty through RockAuto.com, they did me a solid on that.
While waiting on the replacement to arrive I put the stock one back in the passenger side. A couple weeks later while out on another snow run I decided to see if it was a fluke that I had broke the first one. I tried to torture test the one that was still in the drivers side by engaging the lockers and going in to 4 low and trying to do some doughnuts in a snow field. I made it about half way around and bang! That one busted also.

I would have been pretty impressed if it would of held together considering that I am running 35” BFG KO2’s, a 3” lift, 2” body lift, and twin locked.

My assessment is that the Tracmotive Extended travel CV axles might be slightly better than stock as they have the slip joint that will allow for some movement end to end. However the bearing cage is the weak link.
I plan on sticking with stock CV’s until I can finish building custom lower control arms and then I plan on ordering the RCV axles with the correct dimensions for the build.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts