Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here running 6 lug Toyota factory wheels on their 1st gen? For those who are, are you using hubcentric adapter rings? I know that the factory wheels for older Tacomas and Tundras have bigger hub bore, and without hub rings, you’d have to center the wheel on each individual lug during mounting. I’d like to know where I can get a set of durable hub rings for less than $100.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I dont think that you would need the rings because they would be lugcentric then and the rings aren't necessary.

j-dubb

·
Administrator
11,456 Posts
if im not mistaken you do need the rings cause like you said the center bore is to big and it will cause problems trying to keep the rims centered... but i could be wrong...

·
Super Moderator
8,196 Posts
the yotas are lugcentric, ateast the trucks, not the same as lugcentric, there will be no rings needed, bc the lugs are whats used to center the wheel, not the center bore

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ricer-x & json3904, did or do you guys experience steering wheels shaking atfreeway speeds?

I had a set of 16" tundra wheels on my 03 Frontier, the same as the ones that are in this member's X:
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3588
and I experienced steering wheel shaking when driving on the freeway (50+ mph), which led me to think that hub centric rings were needed. I don't remember if I used the toyota lug nuts or the frontier's. As far as I remember, they looked identical.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'd look into if the wheels are in balance first, htioki.

Or anything loose in the front suspension. (Lug-nuts, ball joints, etc.)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When the tires were installed, I had the tire shop balance them.

When I took the wheels off and put back the stock Frontier rims, the shaking went away.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Did we ever figure this out. I have some 93 land cruiser rims I want to put on my x but I'm not sure if going to a hub centric vs a lug centric is going to be good. I have checked all over for some 100-106mm hub centric rings but couldn't find any. Any new updates?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought some tires for my x that came mounted on either tacoma or 4runner rims from around 1993-1996. the bolt pattern is the same and they fit over the hub, they would need some sort of ring to center the studs in the wheel.

the wheel does not sit square like they should.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought some tires for my x that came mounted on either tacoma or 4runner rims from around 1993-1996. the bolt pattern is the same and they fit over the hub, they would need some sort of ring to center the studs in the wheel.

the wheel does not sit square like they should.
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/KMCW106-100.htm

Here you go my friend. I bought these to use on my '00 X when i got a good deal on 4Runner wheels/tires...so far so good and even if they're unnecessary, its $20 spent for piece of mind

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the link! I spent hours trying to find that size ring--- Indeed, I just mounted 265 65 17 wheels from Toyota Tacoma on my 02 X and there is shaking over 40mph--- the wheels will fall off without support at some point in the future--- also will be getting some longer shafted nuts. Thanks again!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks! My tire guy said I needed to get the Tacoma style nuts to hold the Tacoma wheels, and additionally mentioned the rings. I have not been able to find the nuts online (Tacoma's have built in washer with about a .85 conical shank--- they are 12mm x 1.50).

The Xterra is 12mm x 1.25

A local shop says they can get them, but they will be $6.50 EACH plus tax -- this will nullify the great deal on these new condition rims and tires i got on Craigslist... :-(

I sent email to erh514, thinking he/she may know a source, but still no reply.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks! My tire guy said I needed to get the Tacoma style nuts to hold the Tacoma wheels, and additionally mentioned the rings. I have not been able to find the nuts online (Tacoma's have built in washer with about a .85 conical shank--- they are 12mm x 1.50).

A local shop says they can get them, but they will be $6.50 EACH plus tax -- this will nullify the great deal on these new condition rims and tires i got on Craigslist... :-(

Well I'm not expert by any means, but i will tell you what i did.

Our xterras have two different length wheel studs, 32mm in the front and 41.5mm in the rear...I'm assuming that the longer rear studs are to make up for the added thickness from the drums in the rear (I only know this because my X had many broken studs on each wheel when i bought it so i decided to replace all of them).

If you search an autoparts store website, there are many different styles/lengths of wheel nuts. I cant tell you which ones match what you're looking for but i bought 24 of these for my new studs...many because i noticed some original lug nuts in the rear were longer and i liked the look better than the short stubby ones in the front.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-autograde-wheel-nut-m12-1.25-acorn-bulge-seat-13-16-inch-hex-1.382-inch-length-quantity-1-611-174.1/9100258-P?cm_mmc=ET-_-Trans-_-Shipped-_-General#utm_source=et&utm_medium=trans&utm_campaign=shipped&utm_content=general

I dont know if ^these lug nuts are the right diameter shank that you were told to get, but if you compare them to these shorter ones (which also fit the X) it does appear to have a longer/more pronounced cone shape

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-autograde-wheel-nut-m12-1.25-acorn-21mm-hex-29mm-length-611-114/16140153-P?searchTerm=wheel+nut

·
Registered
4 Posts

Well I'm not expert by any means, but i will tell you what i did.

Our xterras have two different length wheel studs, 32mm in the front and 41.5mm in the rear...I'm assuming that the longer rear studs are to make up for the added thickness from the drums in the rear (I only know this because my X had many broken studs on each wheel when i bought it so i decided to replace all of them).

If you search an autoparts store website, there are many different styles/lengths of wheel nuts. I cant tell you which ones match what you're looking for but i bought 24 of these for my new studs...many because i noticed some original lug nuts in the rear were longer and i liked the look better than the short stubby ones in the front.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-autograde-wheel-nut-m12-1.25-acorn-bulge-seat-13-16-inch-hex-1.382-inch-length-quantity-1-611-174.1/9100258-P?cm_mmc=ET-_-Trans-_-Shipped-_-General#utm_source=et&utm_medium=trans&utm_campaign=shipped&utm_content=general

I dont know if ^these lug nuts are the right diameter shank that you were told to get, but if you compare them to these shorter ones (which also fit the X) it does appear to have a longer/more pronounced cone shape

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-autograde-wheel-nut-m12-1.25-acorn-21mm-hex-29mm-length-611-114/16140153-P?searchTerm=wheel+nut

·
Registered
4 Posts

Ok, not sure what just happened but i wrote a nice long reply and it isnt here haha.

Basically all i said was that while i cant tell you if these are right for you, i replaced all of my lug nuts with these when i replaced my wheel studs

I dont know if they have the shank diameter youre looking for, but comparing them to these smaller ones (which also fit our X) them do seem to have a larger/more pronounced cone shaped area

1 - 20 of 25 Posts