Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to towing and need some advice. 2001 Xterra. Ownswers manual says it can pull 5000lbs. Looking to buy a camper with dry weight of 3990lbs. Any advice on if I should pull it being that close to the max towing capacity.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point. I will check on that. Pretty sure it has brakes because it is a double axel. Pulling that weight yo mountains would be okay too? I know it will be slow going but better to ask folks that know a bit more than me.

·
Registered
61 Posts
3900lbs plus whatever or whoever else is inside another 1000lbs that's too much. Not good Xterras ain't made for that. I have a 12ft 5people small camper 2500lbs and I can feel the weight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2001 and the specs say it can to 5000 lb. So I loaded my RV trailer with all I wanted to take and went to the local steel recycler (wrecker) and wieghed the trailer . it came in at 5250 lb
. So I have to lighten my load but it handled fine. I will say that I had an extra leaf added to my rear springs before doing so. Not sure if that made a difference but it seemed workable. So I will tow only under 5000 but with confidence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2001 and the specs say it can to 5000 lb. So I loaded my RV trailer with all I wanted to take and went to the local steel recycler (wrecker) and wieghed the trailer . it came in at 5250 lb
. So I have to lighten my load but it handled fine. I will say that I had an extra leaf added to my rear springs before doing so. Not sure if that made a difference but it seemed workable. So I will tow only under 5000 but with confidence.
I will add that my trailer has electric brakes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will add that my trailer has electric brakes.
So I have added a leaf in the rear springs and will be adding a weight distribution hitch with sway bar to my rig and reducing the load on the trailer below 5000 lbs but I would be interested if anyone has had problems towing with a first gen at the 5000lb limit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts