Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pull a 6x12 converted Cargo trailer 2400 lbs. I'll be looking at a 2012 and the dealer said and my research it has the capacity to handle 5,000. How do they do going over mountain passes? I currently pull with a 2006 Hummer H3 manual and it bogs down to 5 mpg over Vail pass. I'm just curious as to if this get the job done.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I pull a 6x12 converted Cargo trailer 2400 lbs. I'll be looking at a 2012 and the dealer said and my research it has the capacity to handle 5,000. How do they do going over mountain passes? I currently pull with a 2006 Hummer H3 manual and it bogs down to 5 mpg over Vail pass. I'm just curious as to if this get the job done.
does it have the 4.0 is it supercharged? might do ok if those are the variables, I'd be looking at a 96-99 tahoe / suburban 1500 with a 5.7 (only 5.7 there is a 5.0 too) 19mpg hwy and it'll pull 8k easy

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,369 Posts
Gen2 Xterra offered only the 4.0L in a non-supercharged version.

Superchargers were available on the Gen1 models after the front end make-over that put a bump in the hood to provide the extra room for the optional supercharger, so only 2002-2004 had the option from the factory.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
This may be a little late, but...

None of the xterra's are huge on power, thought the gen2 is about 80 hp more than the gen1. The 2012 has about 261 hp. It has a rated towing capacity of 5000 lbs, but if you're going up high altitude/steep mountain passes you may find that it's a little on the slow side. It will do it, but you're going to have to be patient and you may piss off some other drivers that get stuck behind you in stretches where the road drops to one lane.

Keep in mind that with altitude, vehicle hp and gas mileage tends to drop due to less oxygen.

Regardless of which vehicle you choose, do make sure that you have an auxiliary transmission cooler installed. It will greatly increase the life of both your transmission fluid and you transmission.

Reactions: MeToo

·
Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, more letters coming soon
1,714 Posts
Many of our mountain customers pull horse trailers with their armadas. I relocated the trailer brake controller on a 11 pathfinder the other day that also pulls horses around. If your trailer is less than 3,000 lbs then the smaller truck should do just fine but if it gets any bigger or you’re doing any unpaved roads then you’ll probably want a full size. Anything on I-70 is fine because the semis are usually going 35 anyway. No one is usually moving very fast at 11,000 feet+.

·
Registered
8 Posts
does it have the 4.0 is it supercharged? might do ok if those are the variables, I'd be looking at a 96-99 tahoe / suburban 1500 with a 5.7 (only 5.7 there is a 5.0 too) 19mpg hwy and it'll pull 8k easy
I don’t think that you’ll get that mpg towing. I had a 2001 Denali with the 6.0L engine and it got 15Hwy and the minute you attached a trailer to it, it dropped to 9mpg no matter what. Empty cargo trailer, travel trailer or towing my Xterra when I moved 480 miles.

I have a Ram Ecodiesel 4x4 that averages 21mpg combined and 14mpg towing a 7K lb travel trailer now. I wouldn’t try towing regularly with anything less than a full size truck or SUV.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Last year. I bought an rv with a dry weight of 3250 and with gear over 4 and it’s low and slow up any sort of hill. It surpassed my very low expectations via the research but I’m very honestly contemplating keeping the X for my quick camps and buying a decent truck to haul the rv. If I was stuck behind me, I’d be pissed too 😡 😂 I have an gen 1 ‘04, 3.3, not turbo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts