Nissan XTerra Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

· Registered
01 Xterra 4x4
75 Posts
I wish I had been a little more aware of this particular "feature". 🤣
Lol I knew what I was getting when I bought my Xterra. Did a lot of research. At the time, I was looking for something rock solid off road capable that wasn't a Jeep. And something affordable, once again not a Jeep. Power wasn't a big deal because that's what low range in the transfer case is for. And at the time, gas was well below $3/ gallon where I live. Now that I can't afford to drive it out to places like Moab, it's purpose is to pick my granddaughter up from school a few times a week.

My favorite description of the first gen Xterra -- 4 cylinder power, V8 economy. I'm pretty sure I first saw that on this forum

· Registered
2000 Xterra 2WD Gold
270 Posts
I have a few used OE distributors that are used for test/backup. Kind of a bummer that good parts are getting so hard to find. We’ve had ECMs discontinued on vehicles that it’s a common failure. Imagine having a worthless vehicle because it needs a computer that doesn’t exist. We’ve had mixed luck with “ECM repair” services.
I'm actually looking into eventually talking with an embedded friend of mine to see if we can build an open source ECM.

I would think though that it would mostly be solder joints that fail -- if you can solder that's an easy fix. Just make sure to use the good stuff with lead, the unleaded stuff gets tin whiskers in hot conditions BAD. That's a reason XBOX 360s died so easy.

I assume to set timing I would have to take the timing cover off to rotate some things? Or is this something that can be done electronically with spark timing or the injectors or something not under the cover?
No,get a timing strobe, look up how to use one and read markings, then do about 6-8 degrees BTDC. But honestly, it's too much work. Pull the plenum and put in a real K/S.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I'm actually looking into eventually talking with an embedded friend of mine to see if we can build an open source ECM.

I would think though that it would mostly be solder joints that fail -- if you can solder that's an easy fix. Just make sure to use the good stuff with lead, the unleaded stuff gets tin whiskers in hot conditions BAD. That's a reason XBOX 360s died so easy.

No,get a timing strobe, look up how to use one and read markings, then do about 6-8 degrees BTDC. But honestly, it's too much work. Pull the plenum and put in a real K/S.
Never! I am starting an anti-knock sensor religion.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts