Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a deposit on a boat,and if everything checks out mechanically I should be pulling it home next week. The boat is 24' long and weighs in with trailer at about 5300lbs. The trailer has a surge brake equipped ,they say its functional ,but I have no idea. I read that my xterra has a max pulling weight of 5000lbs,so im a bit over. Im not going to be trailering this boat everytime I use it,Im going to get it home "1 hour free way drive" Then after that I will drive it to the ramp in the spring and dock which is only 2 miles from house and there it will sit in the water till fall.

So do you think I will be alright to pull this boat,and the xterra will handle it ok? Most I pull is 2 atvs and a trailer but thats only about 3,000lbs and its been fine with that.

I would also like some advice on what gear should I drive in? At the marina the parking lot has a hill as you leave about as steep as you would expect at a boat ramp,Should I drop it down to that 1 gear until I get to level ground? I never really used those gear,they just what they sound like,1st,2nd and 3rd gear? Other than that its all pretty much level ground from there to home,so then should I just leave it in D with the OD off?

Even further down the road,,when I get to pull it out of the water,should I use 4wd Low combined with 1 gear?

Any advice would be appreciated,Thanks!

·
Registered
392 Posts
My dad used to pull his boat with an '81 toyota. Granted, it wasn't a 24'er and was a lot lighter but it was probably 14-16'?

I am pretty sure your Xterra will handle it. If not, just buy an old F250 or something. Those are handy for more than just boat towing.

Thes best two days of a boat owners life are:

1. The day they buy the boat
2. The day they sell it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Man, that is a lot of weight. Do you know the tongue weight? Flat towing might be ok, I'd add a tranny cooler. You certainly won't drive in OD, 4th may be ok. You also won't be going fast.

If possible, I'd get electric brakes(cant think of the name at the moment) as surge brakes kinda suck. They work ok, but require more maintenance and control is not as good.

Also, pulling the boat out is going to be a big challenge for your xterra. Not only do you have boat weight, but also the gear in it and any gear in your truck. Plus there is likely to be water in the bilge.

I don't think I would do it. The lose of both boat and truck isn't worth the guessing game. Honestly, I'd get a smaller boat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
One of my uncles tows around his boat (not sure the weight with the trailer attached) But most likely weighs in at around the 5000 just like yours, in his old 03 ford f150. Like vinmansbrew stated above, I wouldn't risk both the boat and your X... Do you have a friend that would be willing to hitch it up to his/her pick up? That would most likely be the safest bet. Wouldn't risk it ... Good luck and keep us updated

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
You certainly won't drive in OD, 4th may be ok. You also won't be going fast.
Keep the over drive off for sure. Transmission pump pressure jacks up when OD is on and the tranny downshifts. Would make the tranny run hot for sure.
I would tow it with my old X and have towed that much if not a little more once, had the axle resting on the bump stops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts