Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I received my first car being a 2004 3.3L V6 Nissan Xterra 2wd. I love the car but, I noticed my front suspension is somewhat lower than my rear. I read many forums of adjusting the torsion bars to get the car leveled. I have recently changed both struts and shocks. I can't afford a full lift kit, so I thought this was a option. Some people say the ride will get worse and others say no. To get to the point how do I adjust the torsion bar to get the car levels and is it bad thing?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i meant shocks on both, i know that its suppose to come stock like that to help with breaking and handling. But it just doesn't look right to me. I also want more wheel travel. I would also need to get my tires realigned right?

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
The front is supposed to be lower than the rear to help with braking and handling.

If you lift the front the ride won't get any worse if you leave at least .5" upper bumpstop gap.
LOL, after I put my rancho 3" lift and 9000 shocks on, I jacked my torsion bars. Well, back then and now in Virginia, they don't just hand out inspections. They run cars over a speed bump for feedback and inspect like no other state. Inspector was under the front with a flashlight. Yep, failed, not enough travel. Ran home, jacked the truck up, 6 turns off the torsions bars for 1/2 inch clearance and back at the inspector booth in 30 minutes. They could care less about clearance in Louisiana.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Yeah i meant shocks on both, i know that its suppose to come stock like that to help with breaking and handling. But it just doesn't look right to me. I also want more wheel travel. I would also need to get my tires realigned right?
If you want worse mpg, worse ride, and worse handling, so it looks right to you, can do what the newbs do, and level it.

The wheel travel stays the same btw.

The DIFFERENCE is that lifting uses up the remaining downtravel.

IE: Lets say you start with 4" up, and 4" down travel at ride height....for a total of 8" of wheel travel.

If you lift it 4"...you have 8" of UPtravel, and zero of down travel left.

If you lift it 3", you have 7" of uptravel and 1" of downtravel, and so forth.

The 1/2 - 3/4" of BUMPSTOP GAP is the space, at ride height, between the bottom of the UCA and the top of the upper bump stop. (The UPPER Bumpstop stops DOWNTRAVEL).

Because the angle of the UCA makes a small amount of travel near the base = a large amount of travel at the END (Where the wheel is), 1/2" of stop = A LOT MORE THAN 1/2" of wheel travel.

>:D

Yes, you do get a wheel alignment after changing your ride height...as you need to compensate for the tires swinging inwards when you lift it.

This is why you don't use the OEM/Factory alignment spec after lifting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have cranked my torsion bars to match my rear, I run 265/75/16 tires ,headers and full exhaust as well as cool air intake, and premium fuel I get twenty on the highway which is more than stock, so it doesn't affect mpg, does affect handeling and braking, the biggest thing is it will squat under a load making the front higher than the back.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,314 Posts
I have cranked my torsion bars to match my rear, I run 265/75/16 tires ,headers and full exhaust as well as cool air intake, and premium fuel I get twenty on the highway which is more than stock, so it doesn't affect mpg, does affect handeling and braking, the biggest thing is it will squat under a load making the front higher than the back.
Curios to see a picture of your bumpstop gap on the front

1 - 7 of 7 Posts