Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any advice for this? I want to do a torsion lift on my 02 but the nut that sits on top of the bolt you crank will not budge. Anyone else run into this issue ever? If so what was the solution?

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,553 Posts
Blast it with Kroil penetrant, or if you can't find that, PB Blaster. Do that once or twice a day for several days, then try it again.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Just throwing this out there. Is the vehicle jacked up? If it is not then the torsion bars are going to be supporting a good portion of the vehicles weight and the nut is going to be more difficult to move. Especially if it's never been moved before and there's corrosion on the threads.

Reactions: MeToo

·
Brooklyn br0
'01XE 4x4 3.3AT Locked SAS 35's
3,291 Posts
Isn’t there two nuts? I thought it was a jam nut setup so you’d have to loosen the top nut first.
This.^
There should be two nuts as stated. Two different part numbers, one is "thicker" than the other (I think it is the "adjuster" one but can't be sure without checking into it). Any ways, use penetrant spray as "MeToo" says. Hold the bottom nut in place with a wrench while trying to break the top, jam nut loose using both wrenches against each other. I try to get the jam nut loose before jacking the truck up to work on the bottom, adjusting nut.
I don't use heat or any type of impact tool on these parts.

Reactions: MeToo

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isn’t there two nuts? I thought it was a jam nut setup so you’d have to loosen the top nut first.
There are def 2 on the driver side, the passenger side theyre both at the same angle so I wonder if rust somehow made it 1 nut. Ill keep trying things tho to get it loose, driver I have much more room Im doing pass side first because the exhaust Y pipe limits me on room a lot.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This.^
There should be two nuts as stated. Two different part numbers, one is "thicker" than the other (I think it is the "adjuster" one but can't be sure without checking into it). Any ways, use penetrant spray as "MeToo" says. Hold the bottom nut in place with a wrench while trying to break the top, jam nut loose using both wrenches against each other. I try to get the jam nut loose before jacking the truck up to work on the bottom, adjusting nut.
I don't use heat or any type of impact tool on these parts.
I appreciate the advise. Ill try it out soon

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Do be careful while undoing these nuts if they're stuck. Those nuts are holding back the torsion bar. If the adjustor bolt snaps or sheers off all of that energy that is stored in the torsion bar will be released. The use of too much heat on these bolts (I'm pretty sure that they're hardened) will likely result in them losing temper.

·
Brooklyn br0
'01XE 4x4 3.3AT Locked SAS 35's
3,291 Posts
...and make sure you use two "good" wrenches, closed if you can, that fit properly. You want to grab those nuts tight (that's what I tell her), no "adjustable" wrenches yo. If you round those nuts you're really F'd

1 - 9 of 9 Posts