Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to invest in a good compressor for airing the Xterra's tires back up after hitting the trail. Anyone care to discuss pros & cons of going with an OBS versus a portable, 12V, twin piston compressor? Cost looks to be pretty comparable... I'm eyeballing this one.
Screenshot_20201112-104449.jpg

With condolences,
El Kapitan

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice thing about onboard air is you don't have to worry about having an air compressor floating around. Bad part about onboard air is if something goes wrong you're not able to just quickly replace it, and it is usually under-mounted so is more exposed to the elements.

I have been having this debate as well.

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
362 Posts
There are a number of YouTube videos that show you the pros and cons of various brands and models of compressors. There is also the choice of using a compressed CO2 cylinder to air them up.

Here are a couple I've watched, and there are more!

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,319 Posts
I have OBA to run my locker and air up tires. I use two 10LB CO2 tanks. One tank will run a locker damm near forever. For airing tires I can refill 20 33x12.5x15 tires airing back up to 33psi from 8psi.

Pro: Easier to mount than a compressor, portable so they can be moved from one vehicle to another, and able to deliver enough volume of gas to re-seat a tire bead.

Cons: Tanks have to be re-filled local shop charges $15, tanks have be inspected every five years re-fill shop charges $20 a tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After watching the videos MeToo provided & researching a couple of dozen of the options out on the Interwebs, I went with...
Screenshot_20201113-141055.jpg

Its capacity (5.65 cfm) is more than enough for my Xterra's 285 tires, at $149 (on sale right now) the price is right and Ironman's version comes with a much nicer air line than most of the other pumps I checked out.

With love and tenderness,

El Kapitan

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
What you picked is basically the same as my smittybilt. I run 33's and I like it. I can easy do multiple rigs all on 33's. Another added benefit to portabe is that you can move it to multiple rigs. Only real con for me is that it is not strong enough to run air tools. For most people that is a non issue.

·
Registered
362 Posts
What you picked is basically the same as my smittybilt. I run 33's and I like it. I can easy do multiple rigs all on 33's. Another added benefit to portabe is that you can move it to multiple rigs. Only real con for me is that it is not strong enough to run air tools. For most people that is a non issue.
Add a tank and let it air up while you drive, or fill it at home. It'll be the 'battery' you need while using air tools while the pump works to refill it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yikes, I am a 74 year old woman with arthritis in my hands and back, and don't understand any of this. But I love four wheeling in really rough places, and boondock in my SUV, so probably really need to be able to get myself out of pickles. What system would be the simplest, least expensive, take up the least room, and be able to be used by an arthritic old lady? :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
A younger man with another 4x4.

But seriously, to answer your question, if all you need is to occasionally air up your tires, a portable pump is a good choice. It can be powered from any vehicle.

If what you're looking for is to run air tools or to air up all 4 tires quickly after running them at 8-10 PSI, then maybe the CO2 tank is a better choice.

In between those would be a heftier air compressor with 1 or 2 small tanks to help buffer the air supply. You'd also want to consider an extra battery to help power it so you can still start the engine.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,319 Posts
Yikes, I am a 74 year old woman with arthritis in my hands and back, and don't understand any of this. But I love four wheeling in really rough places, and boondock in my SUV, so probably really need to be able to get myself out of pickles. What system would be the simplest, least expensive, take up the least room, and be able to be used by an arthritic old lady? :)
What MeToo posted above is pretty spot on. Easiest to use and most cost effective would be a portable 12 volt pump. It will air up a tire, albeit slowly, fill an air mattress, or really any low volume task you can find. Compact, affordable, and quiet it’s probably the best choice for most folks who are overlanding or trail riding on dirt and gravel roads.

CO2 systems and dedicated OBA systems (On Board Air) are generally for those who are airing there tires down and need to reinflate them before the trip home or have selectable air lockers and need these systems to run the lockers. Think dedicated trail rigs on harsh terrain rock crawling and that’s where these two systems are more applicable. They tend to be more expensive, the CO2 tanks in my truck retail over $500 each IIRC, take up more space and are difficult to mount properly. However if you need to run air tools, re-seat a tire bead, or run lockers all day they are the best choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts