Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my tires rotated and checked at my local nissan dealership just over a month ago, and it is kind of obvious that the back tires, were the front, are losing a little tread. But now when i hit near 80, speed limit is 75, so 5 mph doesn't hurt the cops.... But then my ride gets bumpy.,its not my subs either.

So is it time to get new tires?
Also, my '05 SE is at 98,239 miles, and im not wanting to put much more money into it. So is it time to sell it and get a newer Xterra?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would think a few questions would be - have you ever put new tires on? At that mileage you should have put at least 1 set on if not a second. Also, 98k isn't really that bad now a days if the auto has been taken care of. Some people on the forums have over 200k on their odometer and are still running strong. You may need things like timing belt, water pump, tires etc but that is still going to run you less than a new x.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thecoalition:
Have had it for 2.5 years, bought at 62,000 miles with brand new tires. I drive a Rover when it not raining or snowing out. Put about 30,000 on that thing too.

I wash it about 5-7 times a month, vaccumm, wax, etc.

Already replaced timing belt, FSU, leaf springs, cat converter.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Timing belt? An 05 does not use one???
Ok, the shocks and suspension components can be an issue, along with poorly balanced tires/wheels.
The tires may be out of round, from riding on them a long time with poor balance, but not noticed when they were on the back. This happens often with rotation. Also important is to only rotate front to back and not and X pattern.

·
Banned
642 Posts
<derail>
What's the theory behind the 'X' rotation pattern and the 'back/front' pattern?

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
What's the theory behind the 'X' rotation pattern and the 'back/front' pattern?
You should only rotate radial tires front to back, because if you change them rear right to left front and rear left to right front (X pattern), the radial tires will give you trouble with both wear and balance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Itsme: according to the people at the nissan dealership there is a timing belt, i have no idea what a timing belt is... is it the belt in front of the engine connected to the starter motor?
im not a mechanic,Im 18 and into electronics.

ShiftingSkys: My parents always sell a car after it reaches a certain mileage. this is my first car (im 18) and its at 98,917 as of this evening. so my parents are considering getting me an updates Xterra. That's why.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
OH, I see so you have the money for it. Well then I guess everyone to their own. I personally would tell them I want 6K to modd the hell out of it and keep the rest for a problem that surfaces. But then again I am probably going to keep this thing as long as I can.

PS: Itsme mentioned there is no timing belt. So X runs on a Timing Chain not a Belt and that is what he is talking about. Has the timing chain been changed? I would assume not because most of the time the chain last's upwards of 150K miles. Even in 70's cars the Chains lasted to approximately 100K. Working on an Eldorado and it has 96K and never has had timing chain changed.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im not throwing much more money into it, parents get a newer car, if not new, every 25,000-30,000 miles on it, ive been driving it out to california and oklahoma for the sweet sand dunes on my dirt bike. I just put KC long range lights on the grille, $210~ for those, im about done with mods on the poor thing.

I guess it is a timing chain, im not sure the proper terminology, but i just let the guys at the dealership do what they had to do.

only electrical mods i have done are with LED interior and exterior lighting, KC's, MTX Subs, stereo install. thats about it.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Just me, but I'd sink the money into upkeep. These things will run over 200K if treated well. My 2001 is nearing that mark now and several others here are over that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts