Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new at all this so please excuse me if I sound like an idiot

I have a 2007 with 192,000 miles on it and it is making the high pitch whine which I've been told is the " timing chain and tensioners" I am reading several posts on the forum, but was wondering what this costs? If you got everything done listed below? I am the second -ish owner ( the lady who owned it let her daughter use it for a year, or something like that) and love it very much. I want to extend the life of the vehicle and am trying learn about modifications to improve performance.

What i have read should be done?

Timing Belt
2 camshaft seals
1 crankshaft seal
Water pump & gasket
Tensioner, tensioner stud, & tensioner spring
Thermostat

Any info is helpful. I appreciate everyone's knowledge with this.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,360 Posts
2007 is a member of the Gen 2 family, model years 2005 - 2015. They use a timing chain, not belt. That might have been a mis-type, but just helping you learn about your new-to-you rig.

I'd ask @Blackberry @RacerXXL @Satito what's up on how many miles before changing the timing chain, and the sound you're hearing.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
GEN 2
If it is a 2007 then it has a timing chain. Gen 2 is from 2005 through 2012. The chain tensioners on the second gen do wear out and I think there was a problem with premature wear on the earlier gen 2 years that required updated tensioners. The rest of the parts in the timing chain system are generally considered lifetime parts and do not usually require replacement, but during tensioner replacement the timing system components should be inspected while you're in there.

GEN 1
If the year is a typo and it's 1999 to 2004 then you have a belt and the belt needs to be replaced every 105k or so by the manufacturers recommendation, but I prefer to go 95k or before 10 years (gates recommends 5 years) because the rubber does break down with time and the mileage rec is based on the assumption that you drive a specific number of miles per year. Generally you would change the belt, tensioner, front cam seals, front main seal, and the water pump at this time on the Gen 1.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2007 is a member of the Gen 2 family, model years 2005 - 2015. They use a timing chain, not belt. That might have been a mis-type, but just helping you learn about your new-to-you rig.

I'd ask @Blackberry @RacerXXL @Satito what's up on how many miles before changing the timing chain, and the sound you're hearing.
Oh cool thank you for letting me know that. I just called the dealership for a quote and they want $3700 fo the job?! Obviously I cant do that. I just payed 3 k for it (which was below BB value), but still. I am low income so that was a big chunk. I am saving up to do this work, now. She is all I got for transportation , so here I am..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GEN 2
If it is a 2007 then it has a timing chain. Gen 2 is from 2005 through 2012. The chain tensioners on the second gen do wear out and I think there was a problem with premature wear on the earlier gen 2 years that required updated tensioners. The rest of the parts in the timing chain system are generally considered lifetime parts and do not usually require replacement, but during tensioner replacement the timing system components should be inspected while you're in there.

GEN 1
If the year is a typo and it's 1999 to 2004 then you have a belt and the belt needs to be replaced every 105k or so by the manufacturers recommendation, but I prefer to go 95k or before 10 years (gates recommends 5 years) because the rubber does break down with time and the mileage rec is based on the assumption that you drive a specific number of miles per year. Generally you would change the belt, tensioner, front cam seals, front main seal, and the water pump at this time on the Gen 1.
Cool thank you for your response. This is prob a dumb question , but is there a way to see if the tensioners need to be done w/o taking everything apart. I assume the high pitch whine is the "indication" for change. @ 3700 dollars would it be better to save for a new engine? At the current time everything seems fine. I just took it to the mechanic and he said its in great shape ( He is not a Nissan guy though I dont think)

I appreciate everyones help

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,324 Posts
I work at a dealership and you should be able to get this job done for about $2500. Feel free to send me the estimate and I can try to make sense of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I am new at all this so please excuse me if I sound like an idiot

I have a 2007 with 192,000 miles on it and it is making the high pitch whine which I've been told is the " timing chain and tensioners" I am reading several posts on the forum, but was wondering what this costs? If you got everything done listed below? I am the second -ish owner ( the lady who owned it let her daughter use it for a year, or something like that) and love it very much. I want to extend the life of the vehicle and am trying learn about modifications to improve performance.

What i have read should be done?

Timing Belt
2 camshaft seals
1 crankshaft seal
Water pump & gasket
Tensioner, tensioner stud, & tensioner spring
Thermostat

Any info is helpful. I appreciate everyone's knowledge with this.
I just had this done on my 2011, it was $3058 total for chains, tensioners, sprockets, gaskets, oRings, and I think a new rear cover.
Luckily it was a new purchase and was covered because they told me they'd fix the CEL in the purchase agreement.
Parts were under 1K total for everything, so it's all in the labor and you can save 2k if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Nissan used to pay us 4.5 hours to replace the secondary guides under warranty. Customer pay time is about 10

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Well it’s slightly more complicated in this case. When the procedure was originally developed, replacing the timing chain guides involved replaced the secondary tensioner assemblies. This required the removal of the intake manifold and valve covers and #1 camshaft caps. This procedure paid 8.5 under warranty instead of the 10 for retail work. Nissan started shipping just the tensioner shoes which can be replaced without removing anything but the front cover. When they did this, Nissan dropped the labor time down to 4.5 hours but Alldata and Mitchell never adjusted their times so shops(dealers and independents) quote this time when doing their estimate.

many times, people replace unnecessary parts which can add to the cost. Sometimes the rear timing cover has the oil gaskets pushed out as well and can require replacement

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Well it’s slightly more complicated in this case. When the procedure was originally developed, replacing the timing chain guides involved replaced the secondary tensioner assemblies. This required the removal of the intake manifold and valve covers and #1 camshaft caps. This procedure paid 8.5 under warranty instead of the 10 for retail work. Nissan started shipping just the tensioner shoes which can be replaced without removing anything but the front cover. When they did this, Nissan dropped the labor time down to 4.5 hours but Alldata and Mitchell never adjusted their times so shops(dealers and independents) quote this time when doing their estimate.

many times, people replace unnecessary parts which can add to the cost. Sometimes the rear timing cover has the oil gaskets pushed out as well and can require replacement
Appreciate the insight. I just wish you worked at my Nissan dealer location in Deland, Florida so I could have full confidence in any work I might bring their way.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
There’s great mechanics all over the place but there’s also lousy ones. Problem is you don’t know which one you’re dealing with until it’s too late

1 - 12 of 12 Posts