Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in the Richmond VA area with a recommendation on shop to do the timing chain and water pump. 2010 Off-Road 120k

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,469 Posts
Is yours really in need of it, or did someone convince you that they need to be changed every 105,ooo miles line the Gen 1 timing belts do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is yours really in need of it, or did someone convince you that they need to be changed every 105,ooo miles line the Gen 1 timing belts do?
I'm not sure, everyone posting about getting them done around 105k mark has me worried. 2010 off-road purchased with 112k, I've got 118k on it now and it's my daily commuter, I do about 140 miles a day 5 days a week. Is there a common sign I should be looking for? This is my first Nissan.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'm not sure, everyone posting about getting them done around 105k mark has me worried. 2010 off-road purchased with 112k, I've got 118k on it now and it's my daily commuter, I do about 140 miles a day 5 days a week. Is there a common sign I should be looking for? This is my first Nissan.
I expect you may be confusing postings about people changing timing "belts" on Gen1 Xterras versus timing chains used on Gen2 motors. Gen2 motors/vehicles are entirely different animals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So are you saying I shouldn't be overly concerned about changing the timing chain and water pump b/c 2nd gen is chain vs. 1st gen timing belt?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
So are you saying I shouldn't be overly concerned about changing the timing chain and water pump b/c 2nd gen is chain vs. 1st gen timing belt?
Yes, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the chain drive in the 2010. Chain driven timing mechanicals are one of the prime things I look for when buying a vehicle. I avoid the belt drive motors for the very reason of them needing to be replaced at regular intervals and the associated possibility of sudden failure that can cause expensive and extensive engine mechanical damage.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yep. Chains are essentially good for the life of the vehicle. The chain guides may wear over time and need to be replaced, but when that happens there is usually an increase in noise associated with it. Often a rattling, metallic scraping or whining noise. This is not a common problem (the timing chain guides in my 2000 Frontier have over 200k miles on them). Some of the early gen2 X's had an issue with premature wear on the guides, but yours is a 2010, so you should be good.

Reactions: XT2015
1 - 8 of 8 Posts