Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Xterra SE V6 M/T
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TL:DR - Where can I find a timing belt tensioner bolt?

Alright Hive Mind help me out here.

I was lucky enough to have my timing belt tensioner bolt(stud) break off in the block.

So, of course objective #1: Get the bolt out of the block. It didn't break flush, but it didn't break with any jutting out either, sadly. I have an idea on that, but always want your thoughts and ideas as well.

Objective #2: Replace this bolt. This is where I really need some help. So far I can't find a replacement part. I will go ahead and say that at the time I'm typing this I have not done extensive research nor called my local Nissan place as I usually do for parts like this. Since it was so late I thought I'd ask you guys first.

Just to let you guys know I was actually lucky in the sense that even though I could tell something was wrong while I was on the road the belt didn't snap nor did it really lose tension until I opened it up to see what was going on so no issues as far as bent valves.

Let me know what you think, and if there's anything I might be missing with this.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,282 Posts
TL:DR - Where can I find a timing belt tensioner bolt?

Alright Hive Mind help me out here.

I was lucky enough to have my timing belt tensioner bolt(stud) break off in the block.

So, of course objective #1: Get the bolt out of the block. It didn't break flush, but it didn't break with any jutting out either, sadly. I have an idea on that, but always want your thoughts and ideas as well.

Objective #2: Replace this bolt. This is where I really need some help. So far I can't find a replacement part. I will go ahead and say that at the time I'm typing this I have not done extensive research nor called my local Nissan place as I usually do for parts like this. Since it was so late I thought I'd ask you guys first.

Just to let you guys know I was actually lucky in the sense that even though I could tell something was wrong while I was on the road the belt didn't snap nor did it really lose tension until I opened it up to see what was going on so no issues as far as bent valves.

Let me know what you think, and if there's anything I might be missing with this.
So I'm thinking you have the broken bolt and the tensioner pulley. If so you can measure the size of the metric bolt and estimate the proper length for install.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,658 Posts
Tractor Supply comes to mind, but they usually deal heavily with SAE, not metric so much.

It'd be nice if they did, or if there was a metric version of them.

Another possibility is the junk yard.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,658 Posts
When I bought my kit from Rock Auto to R&R the t-belt on my former 2001, it came with the tensioner pulley but no bolt. I just checked every kit they offer and no tensioner bolt.

When I did mine, I reused the original bolt, unaware that it should be replaced.

Making a note of it so I'll have all the parts I need when I go to do my current 2004.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra SE V6 M/T
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm thinking you have the broken bolt and the tensioner pulley. If so you can measure the size of the metric bolt and estimate the proper length for install.
I like this idea.

OEM from the Dealer. Every time the belt is changed the stud should be changed as well.
But I'll be calling up my Nissan place next week. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts