Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the worst happened this weekend when my timing belt snapped (way overdue for change). Attempted to change it once and couldn't get the crank pulley off. Tried again and same result, so the car is going to the dealership.

I've tried researching whether the VG33ER (Supercharged) is interference or not. Nothing VG33ER specific, but 50% of people say VG33E's are interference and 50% say it's non interference. Also called the dealership and they said it was actually non interference however I'm still questioning it.

So is the VG33ER interference or non interference? Am I about to blow $500 only to still have bent valves?

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the tool but it wont budge.

Well I guess its time to pony up $2k plus to pull the heads. FML

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got everything apart, the tensioner failed causing the belt to slip. However, no engine damage and the car runs better than ever.

I must have gotten lucky.

· Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Yup, interference, but, people do get lucky from time to time...it mostly depends on engine load, where in the stroke and RPM when it happens.

I had one blow and it knocked a hole through the engine block...so, a lot of interference at 70 mph on the hwy....

...whereas others were lucky enough to have it blow when coasting, going slower, at a better point in the rotation, etc.

Its always worth checking at least.

The tensioner pins fail btw too, and that is as catastrophic.

>:D

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I hear ya TJ. I was going 45mph at low RPMs, went to press on the accelerator a bit and nothing was there. Shortly after, CEL then a couple seconds later the rest of the lights as the car died. Pulled off to the side of the road and attempted a quick start (just to make sure it wasnt fuel related) and sure enough the engine turned over with no effort (as if no compression).

The dealership told me the VG33ER was non-interference. Im sad theyre wrong but happy I got lucky!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.