Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I have to replace both the inner and outer tie rod ends on my 2000 nissan xterra be a use they are frozen to the adjusting rod. With that said are both the OUTER and INNER tie rod end the same?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I was just curious as they looked the same in the picture, I guess they're not though lol.
I just installed my 3 inch ac articulator lift and it has been a nightmare with every single bolt frozen and the pasenger side torsion bar was frozen as well, along with the caliper pins as I replaced the front brakes as well. When I took it to get Aligned they came back and said they couldn't do it because the tie rod ends were frozen. They wanted 300$ for labor, I laughed at them and said give me my keys I'll do it myself.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Thank you, I was just curious as they looked the same in the picture, I guess they're not though lol.
I just installed my 3 inch ac articulator lift and it has been a nightmare with every single bolt frozen and the pasenger side torsion bar was frozen as well, along with the caliper pins as I replaced the front brakes as well. When I took it to get Aligned they came back and said they couldn't do it because the tie rod ends were frozen. They wanted 300$ for labor, I laughed at them and said give me my keys I'll do it myself.
LOL

Smart.

Use PB Blaster, not WD40 for that task, and its night and day as far as working.

Those things can take a week of pre-spraying to have time to dissolve rust welds. Torches can be your friend.>:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I let everything soak for two nights and still no luck. As for the driver side upper control arm I ended up cutting the bolts out and paying an arm and a leg for the bolts, nuts and washers. As for the passenger side torsion bar I heated it up with a torch until it was cherry red then smacked it from the back side with a maul abd extension and it popped out. I wasn't expecting this thing to give me such a hard time but luckily it's almost finished...

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Remember to slather all the stuff with splines and threads with a luxurious coating of antiseize compound before reassembly.

:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts