Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
stethoscope, likely to be a cracked exhaust manifold or low oil, check your oil level and dirtiness, if all is good its likely a cracked exhaust manifold which is common on the 3.3 and causes a valve ticking like sound to be heard

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ticking noises are usually dirty lifters.FSM has a page describing different noises. For a 2004, the pages are: EM-76 & EM 77.
Do a Sea Foam treatment on it. Run 1/3 into oil. 1/3 into gas, 1/3 sucked into the vacuum hose (find the post or join the FB group: firstgenden the write up is in the Files section. If it still makes the tick, you can remove the lifters and either replace them or clean them in kerosene then soak in oil. Some even take them apart and clean them.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
ok thanks I will try that first
keep in mind the 3.3 is also a very unrefined motor, it is loud and rambunctious for all the non power it has. you may not actually have an issue, your engine may just be getting older and tolerances getting bigger, but seafoam in the manner Luke described is a fantastic way to clean an engine i do through vacuum line and fuel every oil change or so and my gas mileage beats estimated and engine purrs like a kitten, 1st time you do it dont let it sit very long (30ish minutes or so) with the seafoam in the engine as it will be pulling out all kinds of junk (subsequent treatments i like to let sit over an hour). best way to do it is get the engine warm, shut it off, take brake booster vacuum line off brake booster, start engine and slowly let it suck in about 1/3-1/2 the can of seafoam while also allowing the hose to continue pulling in some air (or you kill the engine) then simply pour the rest in your gas. (i skip doing the oil addition but change my oil when doing this and do recommend an oil change when doing this, i also use high quality syntheic oil and one of the best filtering filters on the market for our trucks, wix/wix xp)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts