Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 X with 123K miles just started making a thump SOMETIMES. Sounds like it's under the hood, but at least in the front. It starts, if it's gonna start, at about 20 mph. It thumps about 3 or 4 times after the vehicle comes to full stop. That makes me think it's not anything that rotates, at least not in the driveline. It's not boating as if the shocks were toast. Fluid levels checked.

I can't duplicate the noise with the engine running in the garage, even in gear with parking brake on, foot on brake, slight acceleration.

I've looked at engine mounts, bushings, rubber parts. I don't see something. I read a lot of thump threads here, but nothing that sounds like mine.

Who knows something? I'll listen to reason. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whatever it is, it's getting worse. Now the noise starts at about 10 mph, every time, thumps multiple times after stopping, and will make the noise in the garage, A/T in park.

I've listened around with a stethoscope, but haven't found it yet. It seems to be either in the front or on the passenger side. I'm going to remove the power steering drive belt Friday morning and see if it still makes the noise in the garage.

Egad, could it be the idler on the timing belt? It is throwing a misfire code.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sounds like maybe bad breaks? try break cleaner and pulling off the rear break drum covers and cleaning. Mine where oem and at 180k they wore into the cover and had more mud inside them than i could ever believe. The thumping can you record it or something? Are you sure your tire didnt serperate in the inside and have a hanging tread? My friends did that just the other day. Thumping idicates to me something is worn but if its doing it at a certain speed and not over bumps than i dont think its the suspension. How about the mud flaps heard some storys about those but at like highway speeds though,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had all those wild ideas, too, but pretty sure it's under the hood. Since it now makes the noise when not rolling, I think we can disregard brakes and tires. I just finished my morning coffee, and here I go to remove belts as part of the diagnostic attempt.

Thanks for the ideas. I'll keep them on the list.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, solved it. Although pulling the belts made me think I was on to something, I don't understand how the P/S belt could have any effect on the A/C condenser fan! But the noise did stop when I removed that belt. I changed the idler pulley on that belt, but that was a wild goose. I just knew it needed to be changed, and new belts were part of the job.

When I pulled the shroud, a nut fell out. I had a feeling. When I got the fan unit off, the blade fell out! Holy cow! Somebody PLEASE tell me you've had that happen, too.

It's not a bad job, but was made worse by the factory installed grille guard. I have the 2000 Xtreme. There's no way you're going to get that fan unit out without removing the grille, and no way to get the grille clear of the headlights without moving the guard forward.

Yes, I used medium strength thread lock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.