Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 Off Road, AT 100k miles
Does anyone know if the plate position on the throttle body should be closed or at zero degrees with the engine off or disconnected? The FSM says it will stop at 5 degrees in failsafe mode but doesn't mention anything else relative to the positioning.

I am having a hell of a time with my latest problem and am circling back but curious if my TB is shot or? (Yes, I know it needs a cleaning.)

·
Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, AC UCA & BL
1,849 Posts
I could be much more helpful if I knew what the problem was. I’ve removed at least a couple hundred of these and never paid attention to where they sit. I want to say they should be completely closed when turned off

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could be much more helpful if I knew what the problem was. I’ve removed at least a couple hundred of these and never paid attention to where they sit. I want to say they should be completely closed when turned off
I have a post under “Runs rough with a lot of vibration.” Basically, it’s idling/running like a misfire (P0300 Code) and the CE light now flashes with KOEO so it is limiting my ability to troubleshoot. I’ve checked and replaced a bunch of stuff and am nowhere closer to a solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a post under “Runs rough with a lot of vibration.” Basically, it’s idling/running like a misfire (P0300 Code) and the CE light now flashes with KOEO so it is limiting my ability to troubleshoot. I’ve checked and replaced a bunch of stuff and am nowhere closer to a solution.
Did you ever figure this out? I just did a timing chain/tensioners after putting everything together it was running rough. Ended up pulling the Intake plenum back off and replacing that gasket seemed to improve things but still ran a bit rough. Did a leak smoke test placed a rag in the throttle body it was late so I just left the rag in the car overnight next day go to pull it out and noticed my throttle body is in the same position as yours now. I have seen a few throttle bodies in my life and always thought when not running they were totally closed. I now have the p300 and the engine is still running rough.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
This will not cause P0300. Most likely the timing chains are installed wrong. A scan tool with data stream can help verify this. You’ll want to see intake timing values at zero at idle. Plus or minus 1-2 degrees is still ok. There’s is also other things that can cause this and also usually you’ll get a P0011 or 0021 eventually if you keep running it

·
Registered
4 Posts
This will not cause P0300. Most likely the timing chains are installed wrong. A scan tool with data stream can help verify this. You’ll want to see intake timing values at zero at idle. Plus or minus 1-2 degrees is still ok. There’s is also other things that can cause this and also usually you’ll get a P0011 or 0021 eventually if you keep running it
After replacing timing chain everything ran fine have just been tracing down some other minor odds and ends since. Timing chain was done 3 weeks ago the p300 just occured after doing the smoke test. 2 days ago.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Why would you smoke test an engine that runs fine? There’s a number of things that can cause p0300. If it’s not the timing chain I would look at A/F ratio sensors first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why would you smoke test an engine that runs fine? There’s a number of things that can cause p0300. If it’s not the timing chain I would look at A/F ratio sensors first.
Well was not trying to totally thread jack here. Just was curious on the throttle body plate positioning. After timing chain it did run fine for about a day or 2. The person I bought it from had mentioned replacing the valve cover gasket on the passenger side due to leaks. I pulled the spark plugs and noticed they were drenched in oil. To find out that plug seals are not serviceable. End up getting a new valve cover + gasket also replaced the spark plugs at this time. Put everything back together ran decent but noticed a slight air noise coming from the intake plenum. Pulled the plenum off again to re seat it (removed and tightened bolts in the correct order and to spec) Still had the air noise. Figured I better replace the plenum gaskets at this point as well as the throttle body gasket. So get plenum/throttle body gaskets replaced air noise now is gone. Still running rough with a p0175 checked plugs on both side they all look great still since replacing the 3. So that's when I decided to just do the smoke test. No smoke leaks at least! Did a throttle body position relearn drove great for a day now getting p0300.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,733 Posts
@charlersfosho, you replaced the timing chain and tensioners, but I don't see what year your rig is. It may not help me to help you since I own a Gen1 2004 with a timing belt, but it could be quite helpful to others.

Including the number of miles, trans type, and if it's 2WD or 4WD, would also help even more!

·
Registered
4 Posts
@charlersfosho, you replaced the timing chain and tensioners, but I don't see what year your rig is. It may not help me to help you since I own a Gen1 2004 with a timing belt, but it could be quite helpful to others.

Including the number of miles, trans type, and if it's 2WD or 4WD, would also help even more!
Sorry. Throttle bodies definitely could be different I believe 1st gens were drive by wire. I have a 2nd gen 2007 214k miles 4wd automatic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts