Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking really hard about doing a PML lift on my 1.5 gen, and started looking at what to get. I don't want a purely offroad vehicle, but a overland/(will get me to where I need to go) vehicle, I was going to do the PML, make a rear spare tire carrier, stinger, and a roof rack, ECT. I have money but prefer not to spend it on wants. Anyway the PML, lifted UCAs adjustable rear shackles, if I did it would be a1" to 1.5" lift nothing crazy, but I would hate to get rid of the dependability of the vehicle.
I'm a mechanic and we get so many lifted vehicles in for CV axles, ball joints, a good many issues, I know just a little lift shouldn't hurt anything, but I think when you do any amout of lift, the diff should to be lowered, new cv axles and ball joints basically redo the front end completely, I think it matters and I don't have the time to do all of it.
I would like to know yall thoughts on my idea for my X.
Trim the fenders and add fender flares.
Up size the tires and if I have to add spacers so I get more flex before hitting frame.
I haven't thought on it too much, I know I'm leaving something out.
A problem I'm going to run into is in the back, cause there isn't much fender before the back door. I would love to use oem parts for this vehicle, Has anyone done just this nothing else? I know I'm not thinking of everything 馃槙 and that's why I'm here? Thx.

Registered
01 Xterra 4x4
I've done the PML and have not noticed any issues with the cv axles nor with any of the other front suspension/ steering components. I used the modified upper control arms and also installed an idler arm brace. Removed the rear sway bar.

Granted, my Xterra is not a daily driver (5 or 6,000 miles annually), but as stated above, I've had no issues so far.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I understand, I would also hate to change the car in hopes that the mods actually help, right now I'm running 265 70 r17 Federal RT's so just barley bigger than stocks.
Not an avid offroader, but I almost think putting a diff locker in would do more than bigger tires would?

Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
Tires better suited for offroad use are the best mod you can make to increase offroad performance. As Blackberry stated a BL makes room for bigger tires and bigger tires mean more ground clearance, second best mod for offroad use. A locker is absolutely the best money you will ever spend on an offroad vehicle.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx I would really like to go, and could crazy with my X, but I would be doing that hoping that I will be in a scenario to use them, I have nice offroad tires but just barely bigger than stocks.
I appreciate yalls information.

Registered
I was thinking really hard about doing a PML lift on my 1.5 gen, and started looking at what to get. I don't want a purely offroad vehicle, but a overland/(will get me to where I need to go) vehicle, I was going to do the PML, make a rear spare tire carrier, stinger, and a roof rack, ECT. I have money but prefer not to spend it on wants. Anyway the PML, lifted UCAs adjustable rear shackles, if I did it would be a1" to 1.5" lift nothing crazy, but I would hate to get rid of the dependability of the vehicle.
I'm a mechanic and we get so many lifted vehicles in for CV axles, ball joints, a good many issues, I know just a little lift shouldn't hurt anything, but I think when you do any amout of lift, the diff should to be lowered, new cv axles and ball joints basically redo the front end completely, I think it matters and I don't have the time to do all of it.
I would like to know yall thoughts on my idea for my X.
Trim the fenders and add fender flares.
Up size the tires and if I have to add spacers so I get more flex before hitting frame.
I haven't thought on it too much, I know I'm leaving something out.
A problem I'm going to run into is in the back, cause there isn't much fender before the back door. I would love to use oem parts for this vehicle, Has anyone done just this nothing else? I know I'm not thinking of everything 馃槙 and that's why I'm here? Thx.
I four-wheeled my 2003 X all over the southern California desert, Mojave, Kofa, Cadis, Megaphone, Afton Canyon, Corn Springs, and Wiley Well road area. in stock form, and went everywhere, But I carry a survival pack, air compressor (Viair pump) tire plugs, extra belts, hoses, oil, fluids, food, water, gun. And I changed my oil after every run, regardless of miles,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts