Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 Ford Ranger that I bought about 3 years ago to turn into my DD. I bought it from a guy who had used it as a deer-lease truck since 2002-03. The truck is very clean body wise except for one rust spot on the cab by the passenger door.

I've put about 700+ into it. I just recently thought about selling it to buy a full size 73-79 Ford. When my mom passed away a few weeks ago, I got her X and had been doing some major thinking about selling or keeping it. I've been wanting to build a truck that I can use for strictly off-road and fun for whatever I want to.

Let me give some info on it..
1990 Ford Ranger 4x4 extended cab
3" body rise 2" suspension lift
31x12" tires
sunroof.... Sadly

Just wanting some opinions on what you guys think.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Do you like the Ranger as a 4x4 rig? If you dig it, I say go for it. But if not, better to not sink money in it now if it's not what you really want.

I'm currently trying to build a '70 Bronco into a trail rig. It's expensive. I figure I won't ever get my money back out of it, so I better love the truck, which despite all the work, somehow I still do. If I didn't totally think it was an awesome rig that can become what I dream it can be, it would be torture. Same goes for you, if the Ranger fits your style, and you can see it becoming what you dream it to be, then that will be a lot easier to stay focused on. If you'd rather be in a '70's full size, will you be constantly wishing you had done that instead?

Personally, I like the Ranger. I spent many many miles as a kid in that sideways jump seat in the back, my Dad put over 300,000 miles on a '92 a lot like that one. If that is what you like, the Ranger is a fine rig.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Don't waste your money building a 2WD xterra or any 2WD. Save it for the 4X4 you want. The Ranger is worth next to nothing so I'd just beat the crap out of it as-is and see what you'd really want in a 4X4. If you end up liking the Ranger but just want bigger tires and stuff, try and buy one already built because it will save you a bunch of money in the long run.

I had a '92 Ranger that we beat the piss out of and I loved it, then had a Cherokee and then back to an '06 Ranger FX4. I loved both rangers but the only reason we sold the second one was to make room for a car seat.

·
Registered
40 Posts
If you DO end up building up the ranger, there is a massive amount of aftermarket parts for it (especially compared to the x, sadly)

If I still had my 85 s-10, it would be taken off some sweet jumps on the regular! Ranger trophy truck/prerunner all the way!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you like the Ranger as a 4x4 rig? If you dig it, I say go for it. But if not, better to not sink money in it now if it's not what you really want.

I'm currently trying to build a '70 Bronco into a trail rig. It's expensive. I figure I won't ever get my money back out of it, so I better love the truck, which despite all the work, somehow I still do. If I didn't totally think it was an awesome rig that can become what I dream it can be, it would be torture. Same goes for you, if the Ranger fits your style, and you can see it becoming what you dream it to be, then that will be a lot easier to stay focused on. If you'd rather be in a '70's full size, will you be constantly wishing you had done that instead?

Personally, I like the Ranger. I spent many many miles as a kid in that sideways jump seat in the back, my Dad put over 300,000 miles on a '92 a lot like that one. If that is what you like, the Ranger is a fine rig.
I really like the Ranger, but I got tired of putting all the work into it just for it to be a DD. I was wanting to eventually swap a 4bt cummins into it and put it on 35s.

If you DO end up building up the ranger, there is a massive amount of aftermarket parts for it (especially compared to the x, sadly)

If I still had my 85 s-10, it would be taken off some sweet jumps on the regular! Ranger trophy truck/prerunner all the way!
I'm just thinking about pulling all of the electronics out and swap an old carbed 302 or 351 into it with 5 speed manual and put it on 33/35s with a little more lift. Maybe bob the rear end so I can get a little more flex if I ever take it to a trail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts