Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
THERMO ELEMENT REPAIR (sorry I couldn't change the title.)
I'm sure that many of us have see fluid leaking from that little thing that pushes the idle cam. I have and wanted it fixed. Go to the dealer and the want you to buy the entire sensor, even though it is just a bad O-ring. I fixed mine for FREE.
Some Suggestions: If you want to replace the hoses under the TB now is a good time. One is about 2'' long and straight. The other is an "S" shape and may need to be "pre-ordered" and maybe a new TB gasket (I made mine out of gasket paper.)
1: The Tools; 12mm socket and exstention, two screwdrivers, and channel locks.

2: Disconnect all hoses and electrical connectors from intake. Electrical conections are all differant sizes so there is no way to reconnect to a differant spot. They are each specific and can only be connected to one plug.

3: Set intake aside so you have enough room to work.

4: Disconnect throttle cable and fasten it out of the way.Now unbolt the throttle body

5: Gently pull the TB out and try not to damage the TB gasket.

6:pull back the two hose clamps. Gently pinch and twist each hose with channel lockS to break them free from orfices. Romove hoses from TB. There will be a slight fluid lose at this point.

7: Move TB to a flat surface to complete your teardown. I used the largest flathead screwdriver that would fit the screw so I would not damage it. I would advise against using a philips here. The screw may be stubborn. DO NOT REMOVE THE TPS (THROTTLE POSSITION SENSOR, BLUE PIECE)

8: Use channel locks to gently remove sensor from it's orfice. It is brass so be very careful not to damage it. I used a large screwdriver to hold the throttle open.

9: At this point your sensor should be free. Gently release the throttle, keep in mind it is spring loaded and with sensor removed it's motion of travel will be increased.

10: Now inspect the sensor for major damage and to remove the O-ring. I would try to not damage the O-ring in case you are unable to locate a new one. At least you will be able to reinstall the old one. Keep in mind the O-ring will compress and flatten out so there will need to be a bit of side to side motion with the new O-ring installed. I recomend taking the entire assembly with you to test fitment.

11: Install is reverse of removale.
If you have a friend who works in a place that may have O-rings you could call on a favor or the local parts store should have one. I can't inagine them costing more than $2.00. I work in a bus garage so I was able to find an extra one (the free part of my rebuild.)
I am not sure what the actual name of the sensor is. If you know tell me and I will change my title.
In all my time invested was about 30min (that would be all parts in hand and ready to go, tear down and install.) Very simple and easy to do and vitualy FREE!!
I was lucky enough to have gasket paper on a previous teardown and to not invest any time during the repair onto tracong and cutting out a new one. The FSM does suggest replacing the TB gasket every time TB is removed but IMO if it looks good why bother. If you would feel more comfortable with a new one then have it ready before hand and that will save you some time. As i mentioned before, take advantage of TB being removed and replace the hoses under the TB. One may be a spevial order part though. I did, on a prior teardown, try to replace the spring hose clamps with the more common hose clamp but it would not fit under the TB so I ended up reusing the OE clamp (FYI.) Good Luck!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wel,l I couldn't change the title but thanks for the info Racer. I have noticed that , with the leak fixed, my erratic idle has gone away.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,138 Posts
It's about time for another DIY update. I have a couple and I have seen a few like these lying around. Great job
I'll add this one but PM me the others your talking about. I've been adding a few a day as I come across them.

·
Administrator
9,138 Posts
perhaps the erratic idle can from the gasket and went away after I replaced it.
I'll be doing this in the next week or two and my truck has a lumpy idle and I'll see what it does to mine. My guess would be the gasket as well.

·
Administrator
9,138 Posts
perhaps the erratic idle can from the gasket and went away after I replaced it.
I'll be doing this in the next week or two and my truck has a lumpy idle and I'll see what it does to mine. My guess would be the gasket as well.
Well did mine today and those clamps suuuuuuuuuuck to get at. Other then that fairly straight forward.

aagill my throttle chamber was filthy, way worse looking then yours. Did you clean yours before you re-installed it? Cleaned mine with some EFI/carb cleaner and the lumpy idle went away. Fairly certain that was the cause on mine.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thinking i need to do this as the smell of hidden antifreeze is driving me crazy. I looked at it and can see some crystallized residue so im guessing it could be bad.

Where did you guys find the o-ring to replace it? is there a part number?
Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
232 Posts
>.< Thermo Element Idle Sensor NO FUNCTION

I just bought a used 02 Xterra and I saw this Idle Sensor but I was unsure of what it actually was. It was not connected to the throttle and it is rusted out and corroded. Now with the research I understand exactly what it's purpose is for. I am stunned at how expensive it is and I am wondering just how necessary and important in my priority list of tune ups I am currently knocking out is this Thermo Element Idle Sensor? I do have a bit of a rough idle as in its low idle and shakes the car a bit. I figured this was just restricted fuel or air and I am assuming that this idle sensor should be the culprit?

·
Registered
81 Posts
FYI there are 2 index lines on the cam that this thermo element pushes. One is for cold position indexed to the follower that moves the throttle plate. Adjust with the set screw.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Function of Thermo Element Idle Sensor - Video

I am going to do this to mine after the recalls have been serviced. I find it interesting that some people will bypass the cooler lines going to the Thermo Element if they live in very warm ambient temperatures such as tropical climates.

Nissan - Throttle Body (coolant) Thermos/Fast-Idle solenoid Cam adjustment /Oil pressure

The guy who is performing the procedure has a whole lot of videos deconstructing the NISSAN 3300 V6's and servicing the parts as a 100k mile service. This guy is not just your everyday DIY, he has to be an engineer or mechanic educator. IF you do watch this guy, give him some mad props! I like leaving links to videos of the service being mentioned in these topics so future noobs like myself can have a video reference and schooling on what these parts do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
3: Set intake aside so you have 7.

The Question-

A new "element kit-thermo" is housed in a "fixture" to keep the wax pellet compressed.
It says you have a ten second window ot install, or it will fail.

My question is...
when removing existing thermo element will i need to concern myself with either compressing it, or keeping it compressed?
It may take a day to hunt down a new o-ring.

What did you do?

Suppose I maybe could use some large mouth visegrips, with pieces of rubber to pad, to keep compressed while removed?

Is this even necessary with an existing one, or only the new?

Pointers?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts