Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of my first posts, apologies for formatting errors etc...

Now I am no car Guru at the best of times, but I would like to think I can hold my own and am not shy of doing the work myself when needed, but my knowledge is somewhat lacking. So the wife kiddos and I are traveling in a foreign country with very few people that speak English or even understand us, please help...

We went out and bought a 2009 Nissan Xterra beauty, sweet snow 'n mud guzzling ride as we begin our tour.

We need to have the car assessed and have a problem with a rear windscreen wiper, it is the last item on the list before they pass her. We can take you through what we have done already what we have checked and what we can’t find.

So the rear windscreen wiper is not working for some reason. We opened the interior fuse box and checked fuses, but nothing has been blown.

We proceeded out at the rear of the vehicle, we checked lights, number plate lamps (replaced), and trunk lock, a few lights were blown, but all are now working 110% at the rear… except the rear windscreen wiper.

So we removed the rear trunk door panel and checked the wiper connectors (as per the forum). We inspected the connectors and they are in very good condition we then unclipped the connectors and started testing from the wiper motor and then the second joining connector. We tested the connectors several times with a multimeter to no avail and then in case we were making some sort of mistake... we then tested with a wired 12V LED bulb as a fallback secondary test (back to old school stupidity). We see that there are three wires (white, red and black) we tested (red/black) (red/white) and (white/black) none of which had any response on the globe nor multimeter. Do wee need a special test incorporating all three wires? How could we do that?

We then proceeded to open the engine compartment fuse and relay boxes, but for the life of us we are not able to find the rear windscreen relay nor fuse. We can find the main front windscreen wiper fuse at 30A but nothing for the rear windscreen wiper, no relay and no fuse.

We have taken a few photos of the vehicle and its fuse boxes I hope this will help someone help us as we find ourselves in a foreign country with very expensive prices for foreigners and even less helpful people… (Nissan dealership says they can get any parts for us at all!!!) So we have a scrap yard that we have used to get a few parts from a few scrapped X’s, this has come in great help!

Please help us help ourselves guys, again, the only limit is our knowledge of how to do it and where to look.

(Above image, it says (TAIL) not rear, sorry.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
check the bcm or body control module was common in pre 2010s to have isues with this computer communicating this computer basically runs all the cabin electronics such as radio, lights wipes etc. i'd trace your wires back to that bcm and confirm they didnt come loose though this is unlikely with good fuses its in this link under xterra->2009->body control system page 22 is where the wiper section starts and it does mention the consult 2 computer which is nissan's diagnostic computer but there are likely producers to follow that allow you to test without it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so very much, i will try and find the BCM first and check the connections and come back if that did not work. Chat soon

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
pm me if needed, @Blackberry seems to be a certified mechanic perhaps he has diagnosed thjis in his shop and can tell you the exact procedure minus the nissan specific computer

·
Registered
191 Posts
The BCM is a possible cause for this concern however it’s not the first thing I’d suspect. The fuse for the rear wiper is fuse #1 which is located in the glove box. There is no relay for the rear wiper. The rear wiper connector D509 has three wires. Black should have ground all the time, orange should have battery voltage any time the key is on and white should have power when the rear wiper is activated. If fuse #1 in the fuse block(junction block) is good(has battery voltage on both sides of the fuse with the ignition on) and you don’t have power at the orange wire then I would suspect a harness issue. Next step would be checking for battery voltages at the BCM connector. If the fuse is good and there’s no power output from the BCM, then I could start to suspect it may be bad. You can also use a method known as “Auto Active Test” that activates all BCM outputs in a specific order. If this were performed and the rear wiper activated then I would suspect a bad combination switch. This is unlikely because you said there is no power at the orange wire. I never use the auto active test because I can manually activate outputs with the Nissan scan tool but this method is helpful for those who don’t have a expensive OE scan tool at their disposal

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
The BCM is a possible cause for this concern however it’s not the first thing I’d suspect. The fuse for the rear wiper is fuse #1 which is located in the glove box. There is no relay for the rear wiper. The rear wiper connector D509 has three wires. Black should have ground all the time, orange should have battery voltage any time the key is on and white should have power when the rear wiper is activated. If fuse #1 in the fuse block(junction block) is good(has battery voltage on both sides of the fuse with the ignition on) and you don’t have power at the orange wire then I would suspect a harness issue. Next step would be checking for battery voltages at the BCM connector. If the fuse is good and there’s no power output from the BCM, then I could start to suspect it may be bad. You can also use a method known as “Auto Active Test” that activates all BCM outputs in a specific order. If this were performed and the rear wiper activated then I would suspect a bad combination switch. This is unlikely because you said there is no power at the orange wire. I never use the auto active test because I can manually activate outputs with the Nissan scan tool but this method is helpful for those who don’t have a expensive OE scan tool at their disposal
thats mainly what i wanted him to do was follow the wires back from the motor to bcm and make sure none have come loose or grounded etc early 2nd gen bcm failure was a bit common and wiper issues were ususally the noticeable suspect, or door locks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts