Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,857 Posts
I have a front-drive Chevy sedan with a V6. Some years ago I was a little short on cash and was trying to stretch my gas. I still had to drive 11 miles to work each way, with at least 8 miles on the freeway.

I was turning the engine off with the trans in Neutral when not having to add fuel, such as when descending a slope or when slowing on the flats. At freeway speeds, I was able to go from 18-19 mpg for that tank to around 23 mpg. The car is rated 17 city/ 26 highway and I usually get 20-21 when commuting daily, and 27-29 on trips. But at that time it was winter, so I usually got 18-19 when commuting.

However, it was a lot of extra work, and more than I wanted to endure personally or add wear to my car.

The only time I've ever gotten less than 18 in the car was when I was idling the car while doing something to it to prevent the battery from draining, such as electrical or other mods.

I would assume that the Xterra would be similarly improved. But as above, I won't take on the extra work and the wear on the components.

Still, it's nice to know and discuss ways to stretch the fuel!

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,857 Posts
Trains use diesel-electric, which is pretty much the same concept. The old dinosaurs are burned to generate the electricity needed to turn the drive wheels. Were your ideas "stolen"? Not likely, unless you got a patent on them. You may have planted a seed, or the idea may have come to them from somewhere else entirely.

I read a Popular Science article (or series of articles, I don't recall which) when carburetors were still in common use. I learned and started applying a number of their ideas and have been getting better mileage for decades. It's just a matter of knowledge being made more common, which is what you're doing by sharing what you've learned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts