Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building Big on a Budget

Needless to say my 03 X holds a special place in my family's heart. It was given to us by my mother in-law when my father in-law passed away seven years ago. My wife drove it for five years as her daily driver, the last two of those years the AC didn't work and she was getting tired of 4 X 60 air, the "Arm-strong " window, and no power anything!

We decided to look for a new vehicle for her...on the condition that I got the X and got to do what I wanted to it... So here we go!

The truck: 2003 Xterra SE 4X4, automatic

Picture

The plan:

Front
Wagoneer Dana 44 solid front axle
All new seals
TMR Customs Three link front Kit
TMS Customs Track bar
TMR Customs Coil Spring buckets and mounts
6" Bronco lift coils
10" Travel shocks
4.89 gears
Lunch box locker
Manual locking hubs
Reid Knuckles
Spicer Ball joints
TMR Customs Heavy duty steering kit with Heims
Anti-Rock Sway bar
XJ Drive shaft

Rear
Stock Nissan Dana 44 axle
SOA lift
63" Chevy Leaf Springs
TMR Customs Leaf spring hangers
TMR Customs Shackle hangers, 1 1/2" lift shackls
TMR Customs 2" stretch spring perches
TMR Customs Anti-wrap bar
New OEM inner, outer and pinion seals
TMS Customs axle mount shock brackets
10" Travel shocks
Custom Drive shaft

Wheels

37/12.50/15 Mud tire
15 - 8 wheel with 3.75" back spacing

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've already made my front bumper and stuffed an 8500 Lb winch in the front end on a YJ winch plate.

Here's a few pictures to get started.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Finally got started on the rear suspension after the truck has been sitting in the driveway all summer. The plan was to get going on the build in June and July but a new roof, bad weather, and a busy summer postponed that idea.

I've got the spring perches, hangers, and shackle hangers welded up and on mounted. Still need to mount the shock mounts and anti-wrap bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
Subbed...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did a bit more figuring and cutting and grinding tonight. Had to cut off the spring perches and re figure my pinion angle, I had it set WAY to steep. It's set about 2 degrees up but with the 3" stretch I think it's going to be ok.

Got the shocks mocked up, 5" travel up and down. I'm thinking of ditching the lift shackle and that will change the shock travel to only 3.5" up and 6.5" down...any opinions on this?

It's coming together but it's getting dark way to early!

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welp, the rear is all welded up! Just a few seals to change and it's going back under the truck! :D I've also got some rollers on the way so she'll get into the garage!

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update! Got the beast back on it's wheels on the weekend! She's sitting a bit pretty with her ass up in the air but she's on her wheels! Anti' wrap needs to get done and the driveshaft extended about 5.75"
Got a little #BustedKnuckle pick for y'all too

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any progress lately
Unfortunately no. She's been put away for the cold Canadian winter and my shop, AKA my garage, is jammed full and not big enough to work in. I tried to pawn a bunch of my junk off on a buddy but still don't have enough space to work. Spring will be here soon and the driveway will be freed up again to get her back on the jacks and the front end pulled out!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It has been a long, busy summer and I have not had any time to work on the X until the last few weeks. Got the IFS ripped out, what a PITA, the Dana 44 under the truck and a few brackets welded on. I changed my mind and decided to go with a pair of 10" Radflo coil overs instead traditional springs, less bracketry to figure out how to fit in. Hoping to get the X on all 4's in the next couple weeks, stay tuned!
20180915_180824_resized.jpg
View attachment 66599

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After a long Canadian winter and being extremely busy with work I finally got a chance to get back at building the X! I ended up being able to rent a shop for the business and it's given me more space to work! Still have quite a long list to complete before she's ready to go but the light is getting brighter!

Got the X loaded onto a buddy's trailer and dragged it to it's new home!
20190116_195630_resized.jpg

New Shop/Home!
20190116_212028_resized.jpg

Had the D44 sand blasted

IMG_20190413_072245_770.jpg

New Brakes
IMG_20190413_072245_773.jpg

D44 Assembled and under the truck!!!
20190602_173459_resized.jpg
20190602_184835_resized.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts