Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've had my Xterra for about a year now and have decided to have a little fun with it. Going for something fairly modest. I've got my shackles on order, next will be a BL when I'm ready for 32's. Hopefully I can make this entertaining.

I am in the Charlotte area.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're going to be running a PML and 2" BL I would go up to 33" tires instead of 32". They'll fill up the wheel well a little better, it's a nice look. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the input. I've been going back and forth on 32s or 33s for a couple days so that helps. What back spacing would you suggest? I won't be doing any hardcore off-roading, and I would like something that has a little stance to it. 4.5-4.75?

Just noticed my PML picture didn't post earlier so here is a comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
If I remember right, my steelies are 15x8 with 4.5" backspacing running 32" BFG All-Terrains. Stance is perfect on them.

I would also advise going 33"s. After just my PML, I already realize I need bigger and I haven't even done a body lift yet. Do the body lift and then go with your wheel/tire setup using 33"s

·
Registered
787 Posts
I planned on 8".
8" width for the rim I hope? Thats a pretty skinny tire. Usually 31s are 10.5" wide, 32s are 11.5", and 33's are usually 12.5".

As for BS, most people don't suggest running lower than 4.75" BS w/ 33x12.5 tires, PML or 3" SL, and 2" BL. Lower than 4.75" BS usually leads for the need to trim sheet metal in order to get the tires to stuff properly when offroad, going over a bump, etc.

However! In my opinion, 4.75" BS gives a very nice looking stance on our trucks with 33x12.5" tires. I'd suggest running that with your PML and 2" BL .

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I planned on 8".
8" width for the rim I hope? Thats a pretty skinny tire. Usually 31s are 10.5" wide, 32s are 11.5", and 33's are usually 12.5".

As for BS, most people don't suggest running lower than 4.75" BS w/ 33x12.5 tires, PML or 3" SL, and 2" BL. Lower than 4.75" BS usually leads for the need to trim sheet metal in order to get the tires to stuff properly when offroad, going over a bump, etc.

However! In my opinion, 4.75" BS gives a very nice looking stance on our trucks with 33x12.5" tires. I'd suggest running that with your PML and 2" BL .
Haha yes 8" wide rim with 33x12.5 tire.

That's what I am thinking as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally got some time to knock out the BL. Looks much better, however, I forgot the most costly step.... I forgot to relieve the heater core hoses from the bracket and snapped one of the plastic ends on the heater core ? REALLY unfortunate since they are a pain to replace. Luckily it's warm down here so I looped the hoses for now.

Next i will fab a tubes front bumper for the front and possibly rig something up for the rear. 33s are scheduled to be in on Tuesday.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
You're rubbing metal with 33" and 4.75" back spacing? I want to do a PML and 2" BL along with the same wheels and tires as you and haven't heard of anyone needing to trim anything other than plastic.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're rubbing metal with 33" and 4.75" back spacing? I want to do a PML and 2" BL along with the same wheels and tires as you and haven't heard of anyone needing to trim anything other than plastic.
I went with 4.5"BS, but yes it rubs a little bit in full turn.

I planned on using my stock wheels but they were to narrow for the 12.5" tire. (Much debate), so the wheels were a last minute order to get them in time for the tires... Verified everything but the back spacing. Luckily it was 4.5 instead of 3.75 but in a perfect world I would have liked to get 5".

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,028 Posts
Drake and mine both needed metal trimming with the same set up. We trimmed the plastics, still run them, and 5 minutes a side for the metal it's no big deal.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Drake and mine both needed metal trimming with the same set up. We trimmed the plastics, still run them, and 5 minutes a side for the metal it's no big deal.
Do you have any pics of the before and after of the metal trimming? I don't mind cutting plastic.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Here is a shot with the new wheels and tires. had a little rubbing issue with the front mud flaps. Removed all the plastic and still have a little rubbing.
Like RicerXXL said, with 3.5" BS you'll have to trim a little bit. Just take a BFG to the sheet metal you're rubbing on or saw it off. Either will work and you shouldn't have to cut to the point of a "Mad Max" look lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haven't done any trimming, on had one rubbing incident when I turned sharp into a parking spot. The ride is so much better :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts