Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally going to deal with replacing the spark plugs on my 2004 X, and I can already tell from replacing the wires that #6 is going to be a PITA. I watched a YouTube video where a guy showed how he does it with a long swivel socket and a lot of patience. Do any of you have a secret method using this tool (or any other tools for that matter)? I'd like to hear from anyone who has had success with the #6 plug without pulling the engine.

Thanks

· Registered
808 Posts
Somebody loosened the tranny mount and lifted it to get more room. I just used about 8 inches of extension and a flex joint. Follow down the wire and be patient. It helps to remember it's the same distance down as the 2 and 4 plugs. I if you're too far down or up youre not on the plug. Takes a bit the first time but not TOO bad. Took me 45 minutes laying on the engine first time. Might help to have some padding to lay on, lots of pointy parts to the engine. Also no small kids around the air might get a little blue. Seriously , relax it's easier than we think, just needs patience.

· Registered
215 Posts
I am finally going to deal with replacing the spark plugs on my 2004 X, and I can already tell from replacing the wires that #6 is going to be a PITA. I watched a YouTube video where a guy showed how he does it with a long swivel socket and a lot of patience. Do any of you have a secret method using this tool (or any other tools for that matter)? I'd like to hear from anyone who has had success with the #6 plug without pulling the engine.

Thanks
I just changed the plugs in my 2001. I'm guessing your 2004 won't be any tighter. My set up was a 5/8" socket, a 3" ext, a u-joint, a 3" ext, a 6" ext, then the 3/8" drive. You'll have to get a hand betweeh the engine and the firewall in order to guide the socket into the spark plug hole. Connect the 6" extension after you get the socket on the plug. Use the plug boot to get the new plug in the hole and threaded.

Once I figured out the proper set up, the entire process took less than 15 minutes.

Attachments

· Registered
38 Posts
Getting the spark plug out is usually the easy part. A trick I like to use to get the new one in, is to use long piece of fuel hose and push it over the top of the new plug. Then you can fish it down to the hole and thread it in. The tube will prevent you from turning it too hard in the event that it is cross-threaded. Once you can feel that it is threaded freely into the head, you can pull off the tube and get the socket on there and tighten it up.

· Registered
215 Posts
Getting the spark plug out is usually the easy part. A trick I like to use to get the new one in, is to use long piece of fuel hose and push it over the top of the new plug. Then you can fish it down to the hole and thread it in. The tube will prevent you from turning it too hard in the event that it is cross-threaded. Once you can feel that it is threaded freely into the head, you can pull off the tube and get the socket on there and tighten it up.
I didn't have any hose lying around so I just used the old spark plug wire and boot instead. Worked like a champ, and the wire already has a bit of memory to guide itself into the correct position.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great information everyone. Thank you.

Maybe that #6 isn't as bad as I was expecting. We'll see, when the plugs get here. Everything I fixed on my '92 4Runner lived up to the legends of being a nightmare, so I'm a little gun shy with an engine I've barely worked on. Seems very similar to the Nissan 3.0L so far.

One more question. Without an ability to see the spark plug, how have all of you vacuumed out the dust and debris before pulling the plug. I guess I could use compressed air.

· Registered
38 Posts
One more question. Without an ability to see the spark plug, how have all of you vacuumed out the dust and debris before pulling the plug. I guess I could use compressed air.
Just use an air compressor. Loosen the plug a couple turns(don't take it out) and then blow it out again in case any more stuck on dirt got loosened up.

· Registered
18 Posts
I can change mine without hassle now. The first time was a booger and the second attempt didn't go much smoother. I found that using my left hand from the passenger side of the vehicle to feed the ratchet from my right hand (with 2 6" extensions, a swivel and the spark plug socket) to fix the socket to the plug is the easiest way. Once the plug is loose, I was able to simply use my left hand to reach the spark plug and unscrew it out, as well as screw the new one back on. I followed the same procedure to re-seat the new plug.

The #6 plug isn't deep in the engine like the others. You can feel the plug sticking out by reaching between the engine and the firewall.

Good luck.

· Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,410 Posts
Never had much issue with mine but than again only changed them twice.

1st time Drake did it. :laugh: He's like the #6 plug Savant does it every time in less than a minute.

Drake changing another forum members plug at a mod day.

Second time I did it the easy way, with the heads off. ;)

Infamous number 6 plug, not so tough now are you!! >:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.