Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Burning oil and smoking - shop says it is blown rings and its cheaper to replace engine than change rings. They also suggested we might want to buy a new car. I don't know what to do. Anyone have experience with this and can give some suggestions.

2006 Nissan Xterra 254k miles.2×4
My dad was 1st owner I'm 2nd.

TIA

Thanks

·
Registered
959 Posts
Burning oil and smoking - shop says it is blown rings and its cheaper to replace engine than change rings. They also suggested we might want to buy a new car. I don't know what to do. Anyone have experience with this and can give some suggestions.

2006 Nissan Xterra 254k miles.2×4
My dad was 1st owner I'm 2nd.

TIA

Thanks
Did the shop give you test evidence like cylinder compression test results to back up their opinion about the piston rings? Other sources like valves can cause smoking and oil consumption.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did the shop give you test evidence like cylinder compression test results to back up their opinion about the piston rings? Other sources like valves can cause smoking and oil consumption.
I didn't ask - I will call and ask. Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,176 Posts
@Momofmany

Try to word your question to extract the reason rather than to ask about a specific flaw. Instead of "Did you test the valves to see if they were leaking?", maybe try "Can you help me understand why you feel that it's the rings that are the cause of this? Could there be some other issues that would show the same signs and maybe be less injurious to the engine?"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts