Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Is there a way to test the Auto Locking Hubs on an 03 X? I don't have any weird noises coming from them but I just wanted to make sure they're in proper working order or if I need to replace them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hey everyone. Is there a way to test the Auto Locking Hubs on an 03 X? I don't have any weird noises coming from them but I just wanted to make sure they're in proper working order or if I need to replace them.
I've never tried this so someone feel free to dispute if its wrong:

1. Put car in 4wd and drive forward for at least 10 ft to engage hubs
2. Put car back in 2wd and drive foward to disengage 4wd.
3. Crawl under car and attempt to rotate front driveshaft by hand. If the hubs are still engaged I would think you wouldn't be able to budge the front drive shaft at all.
4. Go in reverse 10 ft to disengage hubs. Attempt to rotate front driveshaft, this time is should move freely.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay well I haven't had the vehicle in 4WD in over a week now and have been driving it in 2WD. But I can rotate the shafts EVER SO SLIGHTLY before it seems like it's getting locked on the transmission. Does that seem like it's disengaging properly? And how do I test to see if it's locking properly.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Okay well I haven't had the vehicle in 4WD in over a week now and have been driving it in 2WD. But I can rotate the shafts EVER SO SLIGHTLY before it seems like it's getting locked on the transmission. Does that seem like it's disengaging properly? And how do I test to see if it's locking properly.
Sounds like they are still engaged. Have you gone in reverse in 2wd recently to unlock?

You can also jack up the front two wheels and spin the tires by hand. If the front axles spin they are engaged, if not they are disengaged.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And if they are still engaged, despite me having driven the car regularly (I have to go in reverse every day to get out of my parking space) then they are bad? Or can they be repaired?

·
Registered
255 Posts
And if they are still engaged, despite me having driven the car regularly (I have to go in reverse every day to get out of my parking space) then they are bad? Or can they be repaired?
Not sure about repairing them, but you can't get them new anymore. Pretty sure you'd either have to source some from the junk yard or buy manual locking hubs.

I'd jack up the front end and do the wheel test to make sure.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So to finalize my post. I crawled underneath about a week ago and gave the front driveshaft a few turns and CLICK it stopped spinning. To the best of my knowledge that means it's locked lol. So I guess they're still working. That's a relief. By the by, if anyone has a working or repairable set of the front locking hubs for sale I would love to purchase them.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
So to finalize my post. I crawled underneath about a week ago and gave the front driveshaft a few turns and CLICK it stopped spinning. To the best of my knowledge that means it's locked lol. So I guess they're still working. That's a relief. By the by, if anyone has a working or repairable set of the front locking hubs for sale I would love to purchase them.
Pull those garbage hubs off and buy some warn manual lockers.
https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-xterra-manual-hubs-by-warn-2000-2004-p-228.html
That link is an example, you can find them for less. They are a good investment

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I gotta be honest though. They actually worked quite well when we went rock crawling recently. They engaged and disengaged at the right times and seemed to greatly improve my front end performance. Perhaps it's the placebo effect but I've used manual locking hubs before and these performed almost as well...

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Auto hubs are fine. Just do not intentionally beat on them. I run my original auto hubs with my Lokka with zero problems

1 - 10 of 10 Posts