Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
11,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need your support people! And we need it fast! This is insane. Tellico was finally reopened to the public in September and now a lawsuit has been issued to close it again. This is said to be a landmark case that could affect EVERY PUBLIC LAND USE AREA! I don't have all the details but I will provide the links and try to help as much as I can. We can't let these people keep shutting down our few remaining public parks!

This is copied from one of my local clubs heading up the defense of Tellico:

I spoke with the Ranger Station this morning and I have news to share with everyone. Here's what I have learned.

1) The new proposal/environmental assessment will be here next week or the week after. That means 2 weeks folks, max!!!!

2) The decision will be made by the end of December of this year! No more stringing this thing out or wondering what will happen when. It's this year people. We either sack up and make our presence known or... you know the rest.

3) There will be 6 alternatives proposed with 1 being the one preferred by the Forest Service

4) All comments should be funneled to the Asheville office. This is where this is being handled. Candice Wyman is the woman in charge of handling this.

5) ~500 comments were filed last period. If you think that turns heads you're in for a surprise. We're going to need double that this round.

Get your pens, keyboards and stamps ready. We have got to get on this. We have 30 days from it's release date. I hope we can count on all of you.

Forum:
http://www.sfwda.org/trails/tellico/index.html

BLOG:
http://www.sfwda.org/blog

·
*Channylicious*
1,293 Posts
Sh*t like that piss me off! Whats the big deal about having trails? GRRRRRRRRRRR Ive never been there but Im up for getting angry!

·
Administrator
11,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure what is happening with this right now. I meant to give an update Friday when I found this out but for whatever reason, the lawsuit has been dismissed. It was filed by two four-wheel drive associations against the forest service. From what little I can gather, it's something to the effect of the forest service not sticking to what they had offered. Like opening it up again but keeping the trail gates locked so that it's really not opened.

The 4-wheel drive associations apparently came to an understanding with the forest service and are taking a gamble that they will go in our favor but we'll just have to see.

As soon as I get more info, I'll let you guys know.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts