Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Machanic replaced TCM in my 07 xterra (not milky fluid) with new programmed by VIN as normal but it has a newer motor new ECM. Can it be reprogrammed to the ECM? Or is it in limp mode? Won't start unless starter is jumped and won't shift good
He has had it a year now..."

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,282 Posts
Machanic replaced TCM in my 07 xterra (not milky fluid) with new programmed by VIN as normal but it has a newer motor new ECM. Can it be reprogrammed to the ECM? Or is it in limp mode? Won't start unless starter is jumped and won't shift good
He has had it a year now..."
Sounds like it needs to be programmed to the net motor/ECM. If the mechanic can't be programmed, you might need to move on to a qualified Nissan service location. I'd say his time is up!

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,441 Posts
I replace these semi frequently. Xterra/Frontier/Pathfinder/Titan/Armada all use the same procedure and I program them after installing them. Havent seen them come programmed in the last 8 years or so unless they’re used, in which case it’s like a 95% that it’s the wrong software. The newer motor may need different ecm software to operate properly. Some of the newer engines have tumble valves that won’t work unless it’s got the right software. Really depends on where the engine came from, where the ECM came from, and where the TCM came from. Most of these softwares can be changed if you have a dealer mechanic with willingness to deal with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I replace these semi frequently. Xterra/Frontier/Pathfinder/Titan/Armada all use the same procedure and I program them after installing them. Havent seen them come programmed in the last 8 years or so unless they’re used, in which case it’s like a 95% that it’s the wrong software. The newer motor may need different ecm software to operate properly. Some of the newer engines have tumble valves that won’t work unless it’s got the right software. Really depends on where the engine came from, where the ECM came from, and where the TCM came from. Most of these softwares can be changed if you have a dealer mechanic with willingness to deal with it.
I got it home. I did some resets and it starts now and will go in reverse. Will not go in drive or any low gears and all dash lights stay on. What reset if any have l missed? My reading has said l've lost connection with ecm....???

·
Registered
2 Posts

Can used tcms be reprogrammed and if so can you do it without ners or consult? I have topdon phoenix plus and thinktool pros.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,441 Posts
Most of the time, used control units can be rewritten. I only use consult and even then there’s a few extra steps. Im not sure how any of the other equipment works for this because I have the factory tools

1 - 7 of 7 Posts