Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 2WD and when my Xterra started acting like it was in second gear from a dead stop… I freaked out… but a friend brought over her code reader and I got PO744… a little relief there… so now the problem is…
I can’t find where it is located! I have looked EVERYwhere to find an exploded view of my transmission and no where is there any TCC shown.
Where is this little bugger located?

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,308 Posts
I have a 2007 2WD and when my Xterra started acting like it was in second gear from a dead stop… I freaked out… but a friend brought over her code reader and I got PO744… a little relief there… so now the problem is…
I can’t find where it is located! I have looked EVERYwhere to find an exploded view of my transmission and no where is there any TCC shown.
Where is this little bugger located?
The torque converter is internal to the transmission at the front providing the fluid coupling between the motor output shaft and the transmissions internal gearing. The TCC is the torque converter control solenoid and I well expect you aren't going to lay hands on it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not ask where the torque converter is located, I know where that is. And I did not ask what a TCC is… I know what it is…. I want to know where it is.
And why would you think I would not lay hands on it?

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,857 Posts
I did not ask where the torque converter is located, I know where that is. And I did not ask what a TCC is… I know what it is…. I want to know where it is.
And why would you think I would not lay hands on it?
TCC is the abbreviation for torque converter clutch. The solenoid that controls it is inside the transmission. It is probably not where it can be seen or replaced just by dropping the pan, but then again, that possibility does exist.

If no one else comes by with info, there are plenty of transmission shops around. Or you could download the free FSMs at the link below and have those at your disposal for this issue and any future maintenance you wish to do.

Nissan Service Manuals - NICOclub

I'll offer one piece of advice. When you ask for help, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

·
Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, AC UCA & BL
1,906 Posts
This solenoid valve is part of the AT control valve. I’ve seen folks purchase the solenoids separately and replace them on the control valve but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the transmission work afterwords. Make sure your fluid isn’t contaminated with coolant first. This is usually the root cause of most of these problems. Replacement control valves will need to be programmed because the TCM is integrated

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll offer one piece of advice. When you ask for help, don't bite the hand that feeds you.
That hand did not feed me… it mansplained and did nothing to answer my question. And I’m not sure if that last sentence was an insult or not.
You have been more helpful with giving me a link that might show me where the part is. I have already downloaded one manual that does talk about the solenoid and the symptoms when it goes bad, but does not show its location. I’m crossing my fingers this is a different manual.
However…
You also unnecessarily explained things, telling me what a TCC is and what a solenoid is/does after I already said ‘I know’. Just because I am a female does not mean I don’t know vehicles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This solenoid valve is part of the AT control valve. I’ve seen folks purchase the solenoids separately and replace them on the control valve but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen the transmission work afterwords. Make sure your fluid isn’t contaminated with coolant first. This is usually the root cause of most of these problems. Replacement control valves will need to be programmed because the TCM is integrated
Thanks!
My fluid is good.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
The torque converter is internal to the transmission at the front providing the fluid coupling between the motor output shaft and the transmissions internal gearing. The TCC is the torque converter control solenoid and I well expect you aren't going to lay hands on it.
That hand did not feed me… it mansplained and did nothing to answer my question. And I’m not sure if that last sentence was an insult or not.
You have been more helpful with giving me a link that might show me where the part is. I have already downloaded one manual that does talk about the solenoid and the symptoms when it goes bad, but does not show its location. I’m crossing my fingers this is a different manual.
However…
You also unnecessarily explained things, telling me what a TCC is and what a solenoid is/does after I already said ‘I know’. Just because I am a female does not mean I don’t know vehicles.
When I see that not just one woman, but two women, are taking the time and effort to work on a vehicle, which is admittedly more common for men to do, I rejoice in the idea of women standing on their own and throwing off the old stereotype of not knowing anything about cars or being extremely dependent on men to do it for them. I champion your attitude and strength to make things better for yourself and all women!

However, I disagree that his post did nothing. He shared info that would be helpful by saying that he expects you won't be able to lay your hands on it. While it wasn't definite, just like mine wasn't definite, it at least provided some info for you.

As for the rest of his post, maybe it was "mansplaining", but if you'd take a look around at the rest of CX, you'll see that CXers are not all men, and we explain tiny little things for just about anyone who comes along, be they a man or a woman. Taking offense at him spending his own time and sharing something with someone he doesn't know does not rise to an insult. Of the few women we've had the pleasure of helping, very few of those take offense at our help.

That was why I suggested that you take less offense at what is shared. After all, no one here asked if you were a man or a woman, but instead you shared that detail all on your own. None of us know you from Adam or Eve, and you would have gotten pretty much the same answer from him regardless. So no, it wasn't "mansplaining" in an effort to demean you or treat you like a lesser person just because you're female. It was time spent for another Xterra owner who asked for help and he offered what he could.

Sometimes sharing details enlightens those who ask because they learn something new that they didn't expect to learn. I've made mistakes when making statements that I thought were accurate, but then @Blackberry, RacerXXL, Satito, and other respected members have corrected me in no uncertain terms. Being wrong or not knowing everything is not bad. But copping an attitude will certainly be cause enough for some to ignore you.

As for me "unnecessarily explaining things": I'm afraid you've once again taken insult where none was intended. Take a look at what @XT2015 wrote and what I wrote. He said it's the torque converter control solenoid, as if to say that that is what TCC stands for. I gently improved on his information and stated clearly that TCC is for the TC Clutch. While he wasn't wrong, he was imprecise. Did it offend you? Well, based on your responses thus far, it doesn't surprise me, but my statement wasn't directed at you as an insult. It was shared with you and gave you a more accurate understanding. If you wish to be insulted over that, then so be it.

I'm glad at least that a small part of what I shared was helpful. That is how I try to be and why I frequent this site and one other for my other car. While I'm somewhat put off by your comments about me, it won't deter me from sharing in the future, and it won't matter if the person I share it with is female, male, or a macaque that takes his own selfie. So long as the person can form intelligent sentences, I'll share.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When I see that not just one woman, but two women, are taking the time and effort to work on a vehicle, which is admittedly more common for men to do, I rejoice in the idea of women standing on their own and throwing off the old stereotype of not knowing anything about cars or being extremely dependent on men to do it for them. I champion your attitude and strength to make things better for yourself and all women!

However, I disagree that his post did nothing. He shared info that would be helpful by saying that he expects you won't be able to lay your hands on it. While it wasn't definite, just like mine wasn't definite, it at least provided some info for you.

As for the rest of his post, maybe it was "mansplaining", but if you'd take a look around at the rest of CX, you'll see that CXers are not all men, and we explain tiny little things for just about anyone who comes along, be they a man or a woman. Taking offense at him spending his own time and sharing something with someone he doesn't know does not rise to an insult. Of the few women we've had the pleasure of helping, very few of those take offense at our help.

That was why I suggested that you take less offense at what is shared. After all, no one here asked if you were a man or a woman, but instead you shared that detail all on your own. None of us know you from Adam or Eve, and you would have gotten pretty much the same answer from him regardless. So no, it wasn't "mansplaining" in an effort to demean you or treat you like a lesser person just because you're female. It was time spent for another Xterra owner who asked for help and he offered what he could.

Sometimes sharing details enlightens those who ask because they learn something new that they didn't expect to learn. I've made mistakes when making statements that I thought were accurate, but then @Blackberry, RacerXXL, Satito, and other respected members have corrected me in no uncertain terms. Being wrong or not knowing everything is not bad. But copping an attitude will certainly be cause enough for some to ignore you.

As for me "unnecessarily explaining things": I'm afraid you've once again taken insult where none was intended. Take a look at what @XT2015 wrote and what I wrote. He said it's the torque converter control solenoid, as if to say that that is what TCC stands for. I gently improved on his information and stated clearly that TCC is for the TC Clutch. While he wasn't wrong, he was imprecise. Did it offend you? Well, based on your responses thus far, it doesn't surprise me, but my statement wasn't directed at you as an insult. It was shared with you and gave you a more accurate understanding. If you wish to be insulted over that, then so be it.

I'm glad at least that a small part of what I shared was helpful. That is how I try to be and why I frequent this site and one other for my other car. While I'm somewhat put off by your comments about me, it won't deter me from sharing in the future, and it won't matter if the person I share it with is female, male, or a macaque that takes his own selfie. So long as the person can form intelligent sentences, I'll share.
My user name is MommaGoat…. That denotes female, so yeah I’m a little skeptical that it was unknown to that member. You can speculate and speak in his defense, but really- not you or I know what his process and purpose was. I have just seen it before and that’s what it looked like.
And I was not offended, just a bit annoyed… I have my moments when I have had enough of being underestimated in the ‘realms of men’.

I’m quite frustrated and stressed with this brake-down, as my vehicle is critical to my income and I know it’s no excuse …so my apologies. This weekend alone I have lost a few hundred dollars. So yeah, I’m a bit cranky.
Bottom line is that I was just wanting a direct answer to my question and not all of the fluff in-between. Nothing that he said helped me.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Fair enough. As you can see, all we see as readers is what's in front of us. The backstory is not there, so all we have to go on is what is presented in print.

If my screen name was "SheBear" because it meant something to me, would that necessarily mean that I'm a woman? That would be assuming "facts" that were not in evidence. With my current screen name, it's easy to see how I once ran afoul of someone who didn't like me sharing the link to the FSMs and started calling me names. Unless those posts have been taken down by the Admin/Mods since then, they are still up even after I requested them to be removed. I expect that these posts will remain up as well.

While you feel that nothing he said helped, I believe there was merit in what was shared. We can both agree to have our own opinions and still get along. I hope you've been helped and are able to finally arrive at a solution. If you do, or on a more positive note, when you do, come back and share what you learned and how you fixed it. It'll help someone else eventually.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

There are three of them and each has a different number. But none of the numbers match the number I have on the new part. The part sold to me was for the diagnostic code I got… so I’m assuming I got the right part.
My problem now is that every image that identifies each of these does not use the same name.
There is a input clutch control and a direct clutch control.

(The two at the left bottom with nub end)
I’m at a stand still and it’s getting rainy and dark.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
You probably won’t find a lot of information on this in the service manual. Nissan doesn’t offer us the solenoids separately but they can be purchased in the aftermarket. The model code for your transmission is RE5R05A. Using this, you’ll find more information for servicing this unit. Here’s a picture I found after a quick search for “RE5R05A solenoids”

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here’s a picture I found after a quick search for “RE5R05A solenoids”

View attachment 80428
That’s the same photo I found and I figure that one of the two that are together is the one I need to replace. The diagnostic called it one thing, the auto parts store calls it another thing and then this photo has another name for it.

So what exactly would I be looking for at a junk yard? I don’t know that I would trust most used electrical parts. And this is not a remove and replace I want to keep doing until I get it right.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Input clutch, direct clutch and torque converter clutch are all different parts. The only thing that this part is called is torque converter clutch solenoid or torque converter clutch solenoid valve.

Another quick google search showed all of the solenoids separate so I’m not sure what you mean by “two together”.

I don’t believe Jatco or Nissan or Infiniti ever offered these as service parts so whoever built these replacements(possibly to specification) could have called it whatever. No guarantee it will fit or work.

as far as a junkyard part goes, this could be a bad idea as well. No promise it will work and like you said, you don’t want to keep going back in there. You said you lost a few hundred dollars this weekend alone without a car so maybe using a new part would be a better idea to keep you on the road. New parts need to be programmed by the dealer.

I’m not at work right now so I can’t tell you in certainty but the P0740 code is for an electrical fault and the P0744 implies a function fault. This can also be caused by mechanical failures as well and may not be as simple as popping in a new solenoid. I hope for you that it is just a solenoid.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Input clutch, direct clutch and torque converter clutch are all different parts. The only thing that this part is called is torque converter clutch solenoid or torque converter clutch solenoid valve.
Yes, I am aware those are different parts. What I was saying that the part the auto parts store sold me looks like these parts- as I was naming them from the photo I found which is the same photo you found.
Another quick google search showed all of the solenoids separate so I’m not sure what you mean by “two together”.
I should have said side by side.
the input and direct are ‘together’ as in side by side.

…maybe using a new part would be a better idea to keep you on the road. New parts need to be programmed by the dealer.
What new part are you speaking of? The solenoid or the whole valve control? Because I don’t have $500-$1000 for that part, hence why I am trying to fix it myself. The ONLY issue I am having is not being able to identify the part that is needed and where it goes. In the photo found, the part it shows looks different than the part I was given.
I’m not at work right now so I can’t tell you in certainty but the P0740 code is for an electrical fault and the P0744 implies a function fault. This can also be caused by mechanical failures as well and may not be as simple as popping in a new solenoid. I hope for you that it is just a solenoid.
So if it’s a function fault, what would be the solution to that? Because it was P0744 and said ‘torque clutch control solenoid’.
So I figured it was just a solenoid. But then that takes me back to - what part was I sold, and why does it not look like the part in the photo. And what is the part in the photo’s ID/name whatever that I can tell the auto parts store so I can get the right part.
This has been the most frustrating repair… The clutch on my Dodge was a breeze compared to this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts