Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just bought an Xterra the other day and I pulled a cylinder 6 misfire code, and when I looked where it should be, it looked like the wire connecting to it is loose so I assume that's my problem. I can't really get to it any easy way to secure it better than to take off the hood from what I've read on here. So how do I take the hood off? And has anyone else dealt with this?

·
Premium Member
8,525 Posts
Take a knife and scratch around the hinges on 2 sides so you can put the bolts back in the same place . Remove the 4 bolts ,remove the hose for windshield washer fluid and with other person pass the hood to luggage rack.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I did all the spark plugs without taking the hood off. Google/Search you can basically lay on your engine (watch out for the ignition rotor and wires) and stick your arm back there. A small mirror and lights are a big help. Some extensions and swivels in the right combination should be taped together and will work just fine.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I get to the #6 very easily with a 3/8" ratchet, sparkplug socket and 6" long extension with rounded or wobble connector. A longer extension is hard to get in there and interferes with the AC line, a shorter one, and you won't be able to turn it. I know you're going for the connection wire, but maybe this will help you come up with a creative way for that.

I can totally understand wanting to take the hood off but that sounds like overkill. You might be able to open it a little wider by tying a rope from a roof bar to the attachment bracket at the front of the hood.

Laying on the engine works great. I've also been able to reach back there with a short stool or 5gal bucket sitting next to the wheel.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions! I'll spend some time looking at it today and figure out my best options. I don't have any extensions so maybe I'll just use it as an excuse to get more tools :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm curious cause im going to change plugs out here shortly, would it be over kill to just remove the upper and maybe lower intake manifold to get to spark plug #6 easier?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Definitely overkill, NeoGizzer. The upper intake manifold is a pain to do because there are two rubber hoses in the back that are even more difficult to approach than plug 6.

I took mine off a while back so I could replace my valve cover gaskets. Just like with the plugs, most of the job is easy, and then you get to the back of the engine and growl at how annoyingly it was built.

If you really want to go that route, when you get to those two rubber hoses in the back, cut them and replace them with longer hoses and easier-to-access screw clamps. (I can provide pictures if you really want.) The hoses I'm speaking of only hold air, so length and material are not a big deal. Make sure you also have allen wrenches, long bent needle-nose pliers, good lighting or a headlamp, and a digital camera to take before-pictures so everything's routed correctly when you're done.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I would suggest when you use the spark plug socket, swivel and extensions that you clean the outer joint surfaces and then tape them together or you will be sorry if it disconnects on you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
thanks guys

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
thanks guys
And go buy a tube of dielectric tune-up grease, put it on you plug wire contacts at both ends. Distributor and plug sides. It promotes electrical conductivity for the spark, will make your engine run smoother and improve mileage ever so slightly.

·
Registered
444 Posts
And go buy a tube of dielectric tune-up grease, put it on you plug wire contacts at both ends. Distributor and plug sides. It promotes electrical conductivity for the spark, will make your engine run smoother and improve mileage ever so slightly.
It also keeps out water and ensures a corrosion free contact!

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
It also keeps out water and ensures a corrosion free contact!

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S
What he said, basically, if it plugs into something on your vehicle, use it. It you unplug anything ever, don't plug it back without greasing the contacts.>:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.