Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
2011 Pro4X Auto 4L V6
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking to do more off road trails and want to have GPS that works far from cities. The price on some of them is out of my range. Is it possible to take a tablet and use it for GPS that will work in the mountains etc. ???

Registered
2001 se 4x4 5spd 32"
Yes, that is what I use.
I download the maps before going out.

I use this tablet
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite 10.4", 64GB WiFi
I added a 256 GB sd card for more map storage space

With this app
AlpineQuest Off-Road Explorer

And I have a mount to hold the tablet in my truck.

The tablet was 270$ and the app 12$ but you can find tablets for less.

I also use it for some hiking, it is kinda big, but it fits fine in my pack.

The large screen is nice for viewing maps as you drive. you can record your track to find you way back or download gpx tracks to find new trails.
There are videos on you tube on how to use the app AlpineQuest, the app can do a lot more then you need.

Things to watch out for is some tablets don't have a GPS or they have too little space for storing maps. Be sure to download the maps you need before hand. lots of places have no cell service. The tablet I use does not even have cell service on my tablet because I have downloaded maps for all the places I go.

This is the second tablet I have used as a GPS. They are great, i will never go back to the old stile hand held GPS units.

Registered
2011 Pro4X Auto 4L V6
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NoFunBen-lol I had to laugh at myself later for the way I asked my question. But I have a tablet, and found OnXOffroad. Looks good. I'll play with it first. And I found a mount it will fit in too. :)
I want to do the BDR Trail here in WA.

Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
Just to be plainly clear, the GPS is a separate system from your Bluetooth, WiFi, or cellular phone service/data.

Like @NoFunBen says, having the offline maps downloaded ahead of time means you can use them when there's no cell signal. To use the GPS, all you need is to be able to see the sky. (And a device with GPS that is turned on.)

Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
"Won't work" is a broad term. If it'll power up then it'll work. The question here is what "work" means.

As I mentioned above, there are several capabilities to modern devices, and not all devices have all of the options.

Not all tablets are capable of using cell service. Mine doesn't, but it "works" just fine otherwise because the GPS is present and enabled. When I'm at home, it uses WiFi to connect to the internet and stay up to date. I can use its Bluetooth to read the DTCs in my vehicle by using my Bluetooth OBD dongle.

So, regardless of whether yours is capable of using cell service, if there aren't any cell towers where you are, then you can't use cell service. That is why both of us suggest that you download your maps while you're within reach of the internet. When you get out in the boonies, it's too late, so you'll need them to be already on your device.

Consider it like this: If you are gonna be in a remote location without any cash, where there aren't any ATMs or banks, and the guy selling food has a sign that says "Cash Only", you're up a creek without a paddle if you didn't stop at the bank in town first!

Registered
2011 Pro4X Auto 4L V6
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@MeToo -Ok that's what I gathered. I already have a map in my X all the time anyway. You never know when you might loose service. But thank you for the heads up about my tablet possibly having gps capability. I will look into it.

Registered
2001 se 4x4 5spd 32"
There are lots of apps that can do great mapping. The key to all of them is knowing how the app you have works. How to switch between maps, topo maps road maps, sky view maps. How to record your track, how to down load and see a track, how to follow a track.

I always record my tracks . Then I can email them to friends who want to do the same trail, or even use them myself. Some times for going back to a trail and some time for finding my way back out after dark. For trails in the desert this can be particularly important.

Registered
2001 se 4x4 5spd 32"
NoFunBen-lol I had to laugh at myself later for the way I asked my question. But I have a tablet, and found OnXOffroad. Looks good. I'll play with it first. And I found a mount it will fit in too. :)
I want to do the BDR Trail here in WA.
Finding new trails is the main reason for a GPS for me. Some trails are well marked but a lot of them are not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts