Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have been saving up for a SL and I am at the point of picking out a lift. I have found a few and was hopping you guys could help me with making a final choice based on your vast experience. :D I have an 03 xterra and I off road a fair amount but its all weekend trail run type stuff. here is what I have found:

http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18915355-articulator-suspension-package-with-bilstein-shocks.html

http://calmini.com/detail.php?b=1&m=1&t=1&p=426&n=

Any other suggestions are of course appreciated.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
That kit from 4x4parts is excellent. Far superior to the Calmini in terms of articulation, shock quality, and customer service. Lots of bad experiences with Calmini in the recent past.

What is your goal with the SL?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just a few questions...when you say weekend trails what does that mean exactly? how much flex do you need? Will you be running tires larger than 265/75 16? Stock wheels?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so the one at 4x4 is the one for me huh ok cool. And I enjoy light crawling not too hot for mud not really my thing. I get pretty much all the flex I need out of my stock suspension with the sway bars removed front and rear. I am mostly looking to beef up the parts and abilities to avoid unnecessary breakages. As far as tiers I am looking to stay in the same size useing a Kelly Safari tsr, maybe one size bigger if it will fit. To be honest I have run flagpole trail and the big levels jeep trail bone stock with no problems. And done some other more technical trails with friends who have much more capable Riggs and haven't found an obstical I could not think my way over or around. I just want to build a sturdier rig that I can depend on more heavily. Future items would include a high approach angle winch bumper and rock sliders. Thank you guys so much for the input. Any other thoughts and suggestions?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have you strengthened your steering? Since you are more into crawling I would replace the weaker steering components. Centerlink, Idler arm, TRAs. Going with a PML and stronger steering set-up will reduce the chances of breakage that will leave you stranded. Personally I would upgrade the shackles, torsion bars (not needed for a PML) and shocks along with the above mentioned items. The 3" sl will also greatly raise the COG where as the PML will raise it slightly. And having removed the front sawy bar you will experience are great deal of body roll with either. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.